News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Adding Black background to Brass Plate

Started by jjflory, July 04, 2017, 05:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjflory

I have a Brass Plate that has lost it's black background.  Does anyone know how to replace the black background?

Pictures of my plate with no background and one with black background.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

AL_as_needed

Not sure how well this would work but.... Apply a thin coat of black paint to the entire plate and buff off the tops of the letters/edge with a super fine sanding block to restore the visible brass.
TWinbrook7

jjflory

stub

Jeff,
       I do mine the same way that AL_as_needed  stated with 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper and finish up with Novus # 2.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

TelePlay

I agree. I clean all oils off with acetone, paint in the background with a ceramic enamel, use a rubber "squeegee" to wipe excess paint off the high points, use a Q-tip with the paints solvent to carefully remove paint still on the letters and then after it is dry, use a fine abrasive on a flat block to finish, then polish the letter surfaces whatever works best and finally bake it.

Dan/Panther

I would also recommend masking the wood if you leave the plate on the phone.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 05, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
I would also recommend masking the wood if you leave the plate on the phone.

D/P

Oooops! When I suggested baking the paint, I was assuming the plate was not on the wood. Yes, if attached, mask and don't bake the wood or heat it in any way.

19and41

I have used a process similar to this to apply a black background on aluminum data plates.  The solution works the same.  You remove the plate, blacken the entire plate, take a piece of copy paper and smear a couple of fingertips of brasso on it and rub the face of the plate across it on a flat base so only the raised lettering will be polished off, then water wash the plate with hot water and dry it and dip it in some clear lacquer.

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Brass-Touch-Up-3-Ounce/dp/B0000C514O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499287895&sr=8-1&keywords=brass+blackening+solution
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on July 05, 2017, 04:58:11 PM
I have used a process similar to this to apply a black background on aluminum data plates.  The solution works the same.  You remove the plate, blacken the entire plate, take a piece of copy paper and smear a couple of fingertips of brasso on it and rub the face of the plate across it on a flat base so only the raised lettering will be polished off, then water wash the plate with hot water and dry it and dip it in some clear lacquer.

Are you using a chemical to blacken the metal and then restoring the raised letters or are you using a "paint" to do that?

19and41

A chemical to blacken the entire plate then polishing the raised surfaces of the lettering and surround, leaving the background blackened.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Stubbypylon

Dennis Hallworth restored my B&R brassed out plate by using paint pen.  I couldn't tell the difference from an original.

See: http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/enamel-paint/markers
Craig Stanowski

jjflory

Awesome...thanks for the idea...going to get one now.

Jeff