News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ear Pop

Started by cihensley@aol.com, May 20, 2011, 10:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

WECo H mount (302) - everything works properly, except loud pop in the ear when dial returns to normal after dialing each digit. Suggestions?

Chuck

JorgeAmely

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on May 20, 2011, 10:35:12 PM
WECo H mount (302) - everything works properly, except loud pop in the ear when dial returns to normal after dialing each digit. Suggestions?

Chuck

Thinking that maybe the shunt contacts open before the dial comes to rest, therefore allowing the transient from the dial contacts to be heard. Could be that the contacts that short the speaker (or receiver) open too soon.

My 2 cents.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Chuck, I experienced that problem a while back and contacted Steve Hilsz for some advice.  Since that time it has happened on several more occasions (with different dials).  It doesn't take much force to bump the dial contacts and cause them to be a little out of whack.  This may be what Jorge suggested.  Attached to this post is a pdf file of the e-mail I received from Steve.  I have used this remedy with success each time.  He does mention the possibility of a bad condenser but I have not yet found that to the be the source of the loud dial pop, or what I called "dial click".

Normally it just involves moving the bottom (heavy bar--"W") downward toward the terminal strip on the back side of the dial.

Phonesrfun

I agree that on a 302, the timing of the W and BB contact is the most likely culprit.  I have also seen it where the wires to the dial were not properly connected.

Remember that on a 302, the dial switch turns off the receiver while the dialing takes place, and only turns it back on once the dialing has stopped, and also allows for a very short time in miliseconds for the transients to settle before connecting the receiver back in the circuit.  The receiver is connected to the white wire that connects to W on the dial.

On a 500, the dial shunts (shorts out) the receiver while dialing is taking place.
-Bill G

cihensley@aol.com

Dennis:

What do you mean - just bend the heavy W contact bar a little?

Chuck

Dennis Markham

Chuck, the heavy "bar" at the bottom of the pile up.....Often that is the culprit.  I take a pair of needle nosed pliers and about midway along the "bar" I just bend it down a "tad".  That usually allows the "floating pair of contacts to clear the upper bar before the bottom contact touches the bar in question.  Is that as clear as mud?

I can provide some photos if you'd like but it will be tomorrow before I can do that.

bingster

Got ya covered, Dennis.
= DARRIN =

cihensley@aol.com

Dennis, Bingster:

Thank you. I will try it.

Chuck

cihensley@aol.com

Dennis:

I finally got around to trying the thick bar bending to cure this problem. Your, and I guess what Jorge was saying, suggestion worked. No more ear pops.

Chuck

Tom B

This is entirely what this forum is great at. Fabtastic ;D
Tom

Dennis Markham

Chuck, I'm glad that worked for you.  It has helped me out a few times when that annoying ear pop rears its ugly head.