News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Discolored WE Princess TT - Help

Started by Dewdrop, September 06, 2009, 03:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Keep up the good work, and good for you to not have to sand it.  You really don't want to do that if you don't have to, it's a ton of work.

Dewdrop

Thanks Jonathan for the welcome

I may try another bleach bath. We haven't had much sunshine here in the Ozarks until today. A thing called work kinda gets in the way of doing the phone thing. In my first attempt soaking the Princess housing I used two clear plastic containers (one inside the other, one would be too flimsy) that baby spinach and spring mix salads come in from Wal Mart and Sam's Club. You can see the phone from all sides.

In using this size container, a desk phone housing can be totally submerged for soaking to remove the regular dirt and grime and not take up one side of your sink in the kitchen or utility room (also less water is used). Another use for the containers is to store any extra phone cords in. We try to recycle when possible.

Haven't even considered the transformer for the Princess, maybe someday. Would the 6-volt transformer work on all Princess phones that have a light bulb? My sister and I had the aqua blue rotary in our bedroom growing up and it did light up. Oops, did I just give away my age. I now have a nice little family of Princess phones (3 touch tone and 3 rotary), but none are the aqua blue rotary.

Debbie
Debbie

jsowers

Dewdrop, Rotary Princess phones that lit with a transformer were made from 1959 until about 1984, and could have been installed for a long, long time before you came along, so you didn't give away anything.

Recycling is great. I learned that from mom, who was a Depression baby. Storing extra cords in those clear containers would be great so you could see what colors you had without rummaging around.

Sun helps a lot with the bleaching, which is ironic since that's what caused the problem in the first place. We haven't had a lot of sun lately in NC either. Bleaching in the sink wouldn't work very well unless you had an outdoor sink. And work interferes with my phone collecting and refurbishing too, but it does provide some disposable income so I can keep collecting.

Keep looking for phones. Some day you might find an aqua blue rotary one like the one you had as a kid.
Jonathan