News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What do I do?

Started by electric al, December 01, 2016, 03:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electric al

Noise on my incoming phone line  , so I called the repair dept .

Tech found corroded wires at the pole across the street, and he fixed the problem ,

A few weeks later , the noise is back and I just discovered  that my rotary phones no longer ring!

I called the repair dept. and they are going to come and fix the noisy line again !

BUT why is it my rotary phones no longer ring ??   Anyone ?     ???
Never met a phone I didn't like !

Ktownphoneco

Who is your telephone service provider ?     Aside from the telephones not ringing, can you dial out and / or place calls to other telephone numbers and carry on a conversation ?   Aside from ringing, are all of your telephone jacks throughout your home active or functioning ?

Jeff Lamb

Victor Laszlo

The corroded open which is causing the static might be preventing enough current from getting to the ringers. Try putting ONE ringer in the circuit and then dial the number. Let us know what happens.

AE_Collector

Just your rotary phones aren't ringing? Any chance the ringers were still hooked up grounded? On service calls we routinely removed the grounds on station wires in protectors if there were any. Occasionally we would get a call back for a phone no longer ringing because it was still hooked up to ring to ground. Just a thought.

Terry

electric al

Answer :   Yes , rotary phones are still functional , still have a dial tone .

Ringers not working only !  I tried several phones , and all the 500s do not ring .

I tried a couple of my European rotarys and they do ring !

As some of you mentioned , it has to be my incoming signal !

Anyway , a service tech is coming today to check the line .

Thanks to all my compadres that volunteered advice !

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: electric al on December 02, 2016, 06:44:39 AM
Answer :   Yes , rotary phones are still functional , still have a dial tone .

Ringers not working only !  I tried several phones , and all the 500s do not ring .

I tried a couple of my European rotarys and they do ring !

As some of you mentioned , it has to be my incoming signal !

Anyway , a service tech is coming today to check the line .

Thanks to all my compadres that volunteered advice !
Open one of the 500s and make sure the black wire from the ringer is on the L1 terminal on the network instead of the G terminal. They might have disconnected the ground if your line was still set up for grounded ringing. The 500s were wired this way from the factory. Moving the wire to L1 configures it for bridged ringing.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

dsk

What is typical with many European ringers VS the 500?
1 They usually have a weaker, or none bias sprigs, so try to put it on the less tension position.
2 They use to have a bigger capacitor, 1-2 micro farad.
3 They may have lower resistance, maybe as low as 600 ohms (Siemens?)
4 As a result of 2 & 3 the REN-load may be much higher.

Germany use 60V ringing, most of Europe as you 90V or close to.

dsk

electric al

Thanks guys!

Tech found incoming wire was leaking to ground  under wet/damp conditions.

Replaced cable .... noise is gone !

Ringers are working now , reversed tip and ring ,  seems previous tech had reversed tip and ring at pole when he fixed corroded wire !

Thanks again guys!

Al .