News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Maureen, I certainly don't expect my off-spring to have the same passion for collecting old stuff (including phones) that I do.  I suggest to them that they can keep what they want and sell the rest.  I urge them to sell it where they will gain the most, just as you are doing.  That's been the advice from the crowed here---when you asked for advice.

I look forward to watching the auction and wish you the best with it.  Without knowing your father, I'm sure he's good with that.

Phonesrfun

For me, my treasures are really only meaningful to me.  Not my wife, and not my kids or grandkids.  Sure, my wife has helped me a lot and participated in my madness, but the madness is all mine.

When it is my time to go, I expect that if there is some kind of time involved, I will have an opportunity to oversee the liquidation of my modest collection.  If not, it is fully my expectation that the collection will be liquidated, and the money derived from that will be put to a much better use than taking up space, or worse yet, going to a dumpster or being turned into a bunch lamps.

My two cents.
-Bill G

MagicMo

Thanks for all the kind words. All of you guys seem to know just what to say, hmmmm, just like my Dad. Maybe phone collectors and good people are one in the same. It seems to be so.  :)
Thanks,
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

Doug Rose

Here it is.....this should be fun....good luck Mo....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/b855obb
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

The listing looks very impressive, and the pictures are excellent.  I can think of at least a few people who are probably salivating over this now.

I am assuming that someone is starting a bid guessing contest for this.

Larry

zaphod01

Impressive listing. Great pictures. Now if I can just hit the lottery this week...
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Sargeguy

I would lower the starting bid to get more action on this.  The high starting bid might put some bidders off. The decision to pay $5000 for something is the result of a process that evolves in a seller's mind over the course of an auction.  Part of this is the hope that they can get it for less than $5000.  Maybe $999.99 to start will generate more interest.  You can always set a reserve.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

MagicMo

Thanks for posting that Doug.
Did I do OK on the description?
Sarge, I wanted to put the starting bid at $10,000.00!! I came down to $5,000.00.
I want to see this Auction in the "Guess the Auction price" section of the forum!!!

I'll put in my guess: $52,000.02
A girl can dream, can't she?

Thanks, Mo

zapper

I will pass on guessing the final price.  My guess on who buy's it is the guy from Canada.
Zapper

G-Man

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 27, 2013, 08:47:14 PM
I would lower the starting bid to get more action on this.  The high starting bid might put some bidders off. The decision to pay $5000 for something is the result of a process that evolves in a seller's mind over the course of an auction.  Part of this is the hope that they can get it for less than $5000.  Maybe $999.99 to start will generate more interest.  You can always set a reserve.

It is absolutely worth the $5,000 starting bid and she should not take the chance of the current economic downturn causing it to go for any less.

Since the auction has been posted on the TCI and ATCA lists where most of the owners of telecom museums such as John La Rue, the Japanese and Canadian pickers who often pay insane prices, along with the other high-rollers reside, she is likely to see some spirited bidding for this auction.

If for some reason the bidders do not reach the reserve, she should wait until the economic climate improves.

DavePEI

Quote from: G-Man on January 27, 2013, 09:12:49 PM
If for some reason the bidders do not reach the reserve, she should wait until the economic climate improves.
I can't agree with this more. It is worth the money. I won't be bidding, but I wish I were in a financial situation where I could. But "Go for it, Girl!"

I will hope and pray you get what you are hoping for, and then some! It is a well done listing. Your Dad would be proud of you!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Just4Phones

Hi Mo,

IMHO I think your father would be very pleased that you will be selling the item to a person that will love it as much as he did.  As this will go for serious money, you can be assured it will go to a serious collector and that would make your father happy.  I think it would have done him a disservice if you when you discovered all his "treasures" you called the junk man and had it all hauled to the dump.  Speaking from experience, I just lost my mom to cancer and her life's work was to volunteer her time in a local thrift shop that helped mentally disabled people.  For me it was so difficult to part with her stuff and so what I did was donate much of her stuff to that thrift shop so that they could sell it.  I am quite sure my mom would have been very pleased with that.  Sorry for the run on but you are not doing anything wrong.  Rest assured your father is very pleased and proud.  Godspeed.

Joel

MagicMo

How sweet. Hugs!
Thanks for all the confidence guys!

Gilas

Can't wait to see where this one ends.  Best of luck on it!!!!

Sargeguy

Another thing to consider is that your auction ends during the first quarter of the Super Bowl, when most of America is preoccupied with watching football.  This has less impact on your item than it would a lower priced phone, especially in this age of smartphones and sniping apps.  But it can't help
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409