News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Echo on other line

Started by mmd, May 18, 2010, 09:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmd

Since using my 302, some people say they can hear an echo of themselves, but on my end, everything sounds ok.

What could this be?  It does it even on stock wiring.
Brandon
Western Electric 302, 500

Jim Stettler

Maybe your room is too big. ;D

Just a jest,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: mmd on May 18, 2010, 09:35:24 PM
Since using my 302, some people say they can hear an echo of themselves, but on my end, everything sounds ok.

What could this be?  It does it even on stock wiring.

Just a wild guess but could it be related to the solid bakelite handset on the 302 transmitting a bit of the receiver signal back to the transmitter? I know that if it is then this should be a well documented phenomena likely with any solid handset but maybe there is another wrinkle being added somehow in your case that is making it noticible?

Then again maybe something odd about your 302's internal wiring or the network circuitry.

Terry

mmd

Quote from: Jim S. on May 18, 2010, 09:52:43 PM
Maybe your room is too big. ;D

Just a jest,
Jim
Or my head is hallow enough  :P

Quote from: ae_collector on May 18, 2010, 10:20:00 PMJust a wild guess but could it be related to the solid bakelite handset on the 302 transmitting a bit of the receiver signal back to the transmitter? I know that if it is then this should be a well documented phenomena likely with any solid handset but maybe there is another wrinkle being added somehow in your case that is making it noticible?

Then again maybe something odd about your 302's internal wiring or the network circuitry.

Terry

Hmm, it was just totally refurbished though?  Maybe because it's on VoIP, there's a slight latency being digital and internet and all, maybe the bakelite phenomenon is more noticeable from the delay, whereas on a regular landline with no audible latency (or minimal) it's not really noticeable?
Brandon

Jim Stettler

A reasonable theory. Can you try the phone  on copper at family/friends house to test the hypothesis. It would be interesting to "hear" the result.

Jim
You live, You learn,

mmd

Quote from: Jim S. on May 18, 2010, 10:28:18 PM
A reasonable theory. Can you try the phone  on copper at family/friends house to test the hypothesis. It would be interesting to "hear" the result.

Jim
I don't actually have a landline here, just VoIP..  Couldn't afford landline.
Brandon

Jim Stettler

Do you have a "rich" friend/sibling that is willing to let you experimant with their copper landline? Explain it is in the quest for knowledge. A good friend/sibling will let you do this. They may tease you, but they will humour you.
Take a chance.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

mmd

Quote from: Jim S. on May 18, 2010, 10:40:13 PM
Do you have a "rich" friend/sibling that is willing to let you experimant with their copper landline? Explain it is in the quest for knowledge. A good friend/sibling will let you do this. They may tease you, but they will humour you.
Take a chance.
JMO,
Jim
Actually, no one I know has a land line.  Friends, relatives, grandparents, they all have VoIP now.

Here in Orlando, VoIP is pretty dominant.
Brandon

Jim Stettler

Don't tell Donna (Bwanna). That is a really weird scenario, pretty mucha twilight zone movie.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

mmd

Quote from: Jim S. on May 18, 2010, 10:44:01 PM
Don't tell Donna (Bwanna). That is a really weird scenario, pretty mucha twilight zone movie.
JMO,
Jim
Yea, see, copper in my neighborhood is becoming rare.  AT&T was here recently and made our neighborhood mainly fiber.  I use cable with Bright House (Time Warner Cable), and though they offer VoIP also, I got Vonage because it was what was available when I got it..

I "may" know someone with a landline, but I never hear a phone ring, only cell phones, when I there, so they may not.
Brandon

Jim Stettler

mmd,
That is  weird,
"Not that their is anything wrong with that"
To your friends, Your preoccupation with old phones is weirder than the fact that you can't borrow a landline.
I find the lack of  landline access  to be disturbing, (but that is me),
I am glad you have the sense to use "real" phones.

You're "spooky" :o
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

mmd, Welcome to the forum.  It may have something to do with both the Rotatone that is installed and the VoIP.  Just a guess.

McHeath

The Voip theory for the echo may be on the right track, bwanna are you out there and have any info for us?

It's also pretty interesting that everyone you know is on Voip.  We still use landlines for the house mainly because of 1. The house alarm system, 2. It's on when the power goes out, 3. 911 services work best with it, and 4. It's pretty cheap if you do the measured rate.  (14 clams a month)

That said we also use Google Voice for anything other than local calls as it's free.  And cell phones are handy as well, but nothing beats the comfort and sound quality of a good old G series handset attached to a Cold War era phone.  

mmd

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 18, 2010, 11:18:54 PM
mmd, Welcome to the forum.  It may have something to do with both the Rotatone that is installed and the VoIP.  Just a guess.
Well like I said, even on the stock wiring without rotatone, it still did it..  It just seemed to be something about this phone in general.

Quote from: McHeath on May 18, 2010, 11:22:05 PM
The Voip theory for the echo may be on the right track, bwanna are you out there and have any info for us?

It's also pretty interesting that everyone you know is on Voip.  We still use landlines for the house mainly because of 1. The house alarm system, 2. It's on when the power goes out, 3. 911 services work best with it, and 4. It's pretty cheap if you do the measured rate.  (14 clams a month)

That said we also use Google Voice for anything other than local calls as it's free.  And cell phones are handy as well, but nothing beats the comfort and sound quality of a good old G series handset attached to a Cold War era phone. 
Those reasons are why I wish I could afford a landline, but my VoIP is on battery backup so it works even with the power out (I power the VoIP box, rackmount cisco catalyst switch and router, domain controller, and cable modem)..  With VoIP, I just like having free local, long distance, and even some out of country calling, with a basic price.

In Orlando though, with the U-Verse roll out all over the place, it's mainly gone VoIP all over.  Even if its connected to the wall, it's still VoIP..
Brandon

Jim Stettler

Quote from: McHeath on May 18, 2010, 11:22:05 PM

It's also pretty interesting that everyone you know is on Voip.  We still use landlines for the house mainly because of 1. The house alarm system, 2. It's on when the power goes out, 3. 911 services work best with it, and 4. It's pretty cheap if you do the measured rate.  (14 clams a month)

That said we also use Google Voice for anything other than local calls as it's free.  And cell phones are handy as well, but nothing beats the comfort and sound quality of a good old G series handset attached to a Cold War era phone.  

McHeath,
Is your RJ31X (alarm) wired proerly? It seems me that about 30% aren't. It is a better percentage now than it used to be.
Just an observartion,
Jim
You live, You learn,