News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Outside Terminal Receiver Property of American Bell Telephone CO

Started by Doug Rose, September 05, 2011, 01:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Different antiques store, we found an old wood phone with an OT receiver. Only $40 for the woodie with the OT receiver. I don't think the receiver belonged on the box. It was coated with years of grime. I was disappointed when after cleaning I could not find Western Electric on the top. My disappointment turn to joy when I found Property of American Bell Telephone CO around the receiver cap. The top has a Z and 2220730 stamped in the bakelite. I was overjoyed when I heard dial tone through it....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I have obviously been shopping at the wrong antiques stores.  All I usually find are modular 500s for $45 and an occasional D1/F1 for $375.

Larry

GG

Nice!  Great find. 

Did WE ever use DC receivers where the line current energized an electromagnet?, or were they all permanent-magnet receivers (such as yours would have to be, for use on a local battery magneto phone)? 

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

Kidphone

GG

That "American Bell Telephone Company" marking would date that receiver at between 1880 - 1900, right? 

Eeyow.  And it still works, approx. 120 years later. 

southernphoneman

Quote from: GG on September 07, 2011, 06:26:55 AM

That "American Bell Telephone Company" marking would date that receiver at between 1880 - 1900, right? 

Eeyow.  And it still works, approx. 120 years later. 

:) yeah! it figures, that's vintage phones for you, once again it seems the older it gets the better it works, screw modern phones.