News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Tale of Two Major, Major Projects!!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 22, 2016, 10:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Since I have a 6-day Thanksgiving weekend, I decided to take on two HUGE projects that I didn't think I would get around to for another decade or so.

The first is my 1956 Rose Beige 500. It was given to me a year or so ago in hopes of becoming a nice project. It was originally Rose Beige, but a trip to the refurb center gave it a Light Beige paint job, and replacement handset, cords, and dial bezel. Had these parts been the only ones to work with, I would have no choice but to make it a two-tone. But, a couple days ago, I bought a a Light Beige 554 on eBay, which has a Rose Beige handset, again, painted Light Beige. It actually took me a couple days to realize what I could use that handset for... ;D I started sanding the housing 2 days ago, and it's already almost completely free of paint. The handset will need sanding too once it arrives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282230724222

The second is my 1956 Oxford Gray 500. I bought this one a few years ago in an eBay auction. Again, a trip to the refurb center in 1961 gave it a fresh paint job in its succeeding color (Light Gray), along with new cords and dial bezel. Fortunately, this one has the original handset and caps, which makes searching for parts a little easier, but the restoration a little harder. Although the plastics are 1956, the original chassis was 1954, with a -52 stamped on the bottom to reflect the new color. It was in rough shape, so I replaced it with a very minty January '56 chassis. This has been an off-again, on-again project, but I think I finally have enough guts to take it on.
Sadly, I tried soaking the plastics in Super Clean once in an attempt to avoid sanding, which pretty much took care of the date stamps on the handset and caps... :-[

Both sets have their original dials, but I don't have matching bezels for either one. For now, they're betting black bezels and fingerwheels.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

The Rose Beige:
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

The Oxford Gray:
Christian Petterson

jsowers

Christian, you certainly have your work cut out for you over Thanksgiving. I'm sure you'll be thankful when both phones are complete. Some projects take a long time, as you know. Hopefully you will be able to find a dark beige dial bezel for that dark beige 500.

Those "mutt phones" like the dark and light beige phones you got, made up of different color plastics and other issues like Polane paint and replaced dials, often bring good luck like you experienced. Once bought, other phones needing those parts appear as if by magic.

Are you going to make straight dark gray cords for both phones? They both came that way originally, with the cutoff for dark beige with dark gray cords being spring, 1956, so you could get by with a dark gray cord. After that the cords matched the plastics on that color.

Keep us posted on the progress. And stop and have some turkey on Thursday to give your hands a rest from sanding.  :)
Jonathan

RotarDad

Christian -They both look great so far!  Keep the pics coming!!  Happy Thanksgiving!  Paul
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks Guys!

Jon:

I would make straight cords, if someone had a decent replacement boot for the handset end of the cord, I would, but the kind I used in the past is too stubby.
I will be painting a couple ITT coiled cords in Charcoal Gray vinyl paint, and still need to find some thicker line cords.

I actually have a bit of a dilemma. I also bought a '65 Red 500 a couple days ago on eBay, which appears to have a Neutral Gray handset cord. Problem is: I don't know what phone I should put it on! :-\ I have three 'holy grail' phones that all need Gray handset cords (two of them are the phones displayed here). I can make correct-looking cords, but one of them deserves the correct cord. I'm thinking the Oxford Gray, because it's rarer, and color-matching to the cord.

Paul:

Didn't you give the Rose Beige to me? It's definitely making a great project!
==================

The 554 with the donor handset arrived today.

Sure enough, the handset is Rose Beige, dated 1957, and the housing/cord are Light Beige dated 1958. The 1957 Light Beige handset my Rose Beige came with will be perfect for the donor 554!

The seller also threw in an extra phone; a White 554 dated 1960, with a housing and dial from 1964, and a modular handset. Being so Franken-phoned, I can use the parts for future projects. It also has a great party line dial card!
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

Christian - Yes, that was my painted Rose Beige.  I was disappointed to find that handset was not RB also and lost interest in the project.  It couldn't have gone to a better home - I'm pleased to see it coming together!!   I may have.a cord boot idea for you...  I was working on a home-made straight cord a while back and found a decent boot solution.  I'll try to post some pics/info tonight....  Paul
Paul

RotarDad

Christian - Here are my project bits for a gray straight cord.  I used a George L's instrument cord restraint and modified it by cutting off a bit from both ends.  Then I slid it over the smooth end of a proper sized drill and chucked it in my cordless drill (note the drill is upside down).  Then I spun the drill slowly while contouring the restraint with a file.  This has the added benefit of taking the shine off the plastic.  My contouring could use a bit of help to thin the restraint more I think, but you get the idea.  The cable is 4-wire microphone cordage with 2 blue and 2 white, plus some shielding, so it won't look WE from the inside.  The restraint is inserted from inside the handset, and the cord is pushed through - it fits nice and tight. The Gray color is a bit lighter than WE spec, but I know you could paint it, if desired.   Dan (D/P) deserves credit for the "drill spin contour" approach -  Thank you Dan!

Christian, you are welcome to these cord parts for the low, low price of $0 if you'd like them.....  Paul
Paul