"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

401B KTU use

Started by Rokumoncat, April 22, 2015, 09:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokumoncat

Hi again,

I just procured myself a Western Electric 401B manual intercom KTU. Has anyone ever used one of these? What do I need to know about using this KTU? The only documentation that I could find is a small two paragraph section in a general 1A2 BSP.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best,

Joe

poplar1

These fit in the same slots as 400-type cards, though it may be restricted to the last slot on some systems. They were used for "manual" intercoms, that is, they provide only the talk path (24 Volts DC, filtered, on pins 3 and 18 IIRC) and lamp supervision to show the intercom path in use. Separately mounted keys,  with one or more buttons, were used to signal the desired station. Hence the term "buttons and buzzers" for this arrangement.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

andre_janew

I'd love to see a picture of it.

unbeldi

The 401B replaced the 401A, which is actually the more interesting card for hobbyists, because it has some spare contacts on the A relay for controlling other devices.  The 401B omitted this feature.

The 401B also omitted the choke to decouple speech from the talk power supply, I think, so all that's left on the card is one relay, right?
If you have to save a slot in your KSU the relay could easily be mounting elsewhere.

Weco355aman

Here is a photo of a 401 KTU
The BSP number is 518-215-402 page 4 july 1980
I have a spare set of BSP's if you need them.
Phil

poplar1

401A diagram
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.