News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

craigslist purchase (Giant Phone Hoard)

Started by mark9564, March 04, 2015, 06:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark9564

Probably sell most of them. I don't have anywhere to keep them , there are a few that I will keep.

unbeldi

Would you do us a big favor and tell the dates of the housing and on the 6D dial of the Old Rose 302 that you have found  and just put on eBay?

I believe this phone is one of the first colored plastic 302s that came with a 6D dial.
So far I have tracked colored 302s having 5J dial into the middle of April 1953, and I have my first colored one with a 6D dial in May 1953.

Your phone is dated in 4-53 and it has a 6D dial.  I would like to confirm the date on the dial and the date of the housing which is stamped along the front edge inside.

This would be a great contribution to our parts date registry.

mark9564

Hope this helps

oldmoley2

What a fantastic haul! I'm very envious - as a UK collector, I would love to have this little lot. Am trying to expand my collection of US phones, but they are hard to come by in the UK, and expensive to have shipped over from the States. Might have to arrange a visit to the US soon, methinks.....

Doug Rose

Mark...its probably good that you found this lot where you really do not collect phones. A collector would be saying, I'll keep this and sell that, well maybe not sell that  ::) Its a really nice find and you should do really well with it. Selling them one at a time as you are.....good luck....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: mark9564 on March 05, 2015, 11:16:02 PM
Hope this helps
Thanks for the dial date.
Too bad it's so far off from the base date, it appears the dial has probably been changed or the base has been swapped with another phone.  There is another indication of that, the Z-less number plate of a later date, which by itself I would have accepted as being somewhat of a consumable.

The colored 302s with 6D dials of 1953 and 54 had matching dates on dial, base, and housing. So for now, May continues to stand as the first month these colored 302s had 6D dials.

The colored 302s between 12-52 and 4-53 appear to have used up the existing stock of 5J dials, all dated 12-52, which is the latest date of any 5J dial we have found.

poplar1

Quote from: mark9564 on March 05, 2015, 11:16:02 PM
Hope this helps

Mark, the housing date is stamped  on the opposite end. "H1" is the telephone set mounting designation.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

mark9564

it was late and was not thinking, will post it later today. ::)

Greg G.

Did you have to travel far to get them?  I see you're in my neck of the woods on Camano Island. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

mark9564

Partyline4

So is the guy who originally had the collection "under the radar"?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a member of some club or maybe even the forum.

Partyline4

Mark's doing very well with these....

He's probably still the silent envy of the forum!  ::)

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Partyline4 on March 23, 2015, 09:07:35 AM
He's probably still the silent envy of the forum!  ::)
Pretty much, yes! ;D

Mark, how many have you managed to sell? Which ones are you going to keep?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

mark9564

I kept a couple candlesticks, 302, AE40, a 102 and 202 .

Partyline4

Any word on if the collector was a member of the forum?

I'm surprised someone would just fall out of the collection like that....

Just curious.