News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 554 - no sound from receiver but mic and phone appear intact

Started by WE554, January 23, 2013, 01:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WE554

Hi I have picked up a Western Electric 554 (A/B 554 9-73) with a modular plug, handset, and wall plate.  Upon purchasing I was told that it had a dial tone but the original owner was not sure if it was working due to their home dsl/voip service issues.  At my initial setup and mounting I determined that the phone receives calls (rings loud), and can dial out (I called my cell phone and can hear myself loud and clear).  However I cannot hear a dial tone or anything out of the earpiece. 

I have a feeling that it might just be the receiver piece in the top of the handle?  I do not have another modular handset cord to test that but I unscrewed and removed the top earpiece and I looked clean, connected and new.  Not too sure were to start troubleshooting and have a feeling I'd mess up more than I'd help by starting. 

Any ideas on where it's best and easiest to start looking into this problem?

Thanks...

Phonesrfun

I would also suspect the handset cord.  Maybe you could find one at the local Goodwill or other thrift store to try out.  Other than that, you would need to open it up and check out connections inside the phone for the receiver circuit.  It could also be the modular jacks on eithe end of the handset cord.  One at the phone end and the other in the end of the handset.
-Bill G

WE554

Ok.  Thanks I'll start with the cord but figured that if it cord carries my voice than it should be able to transmit sound to my ear.  But it's a start.  Thanks.  Do you know if the reciver conects to the mic inside the handset?  Does the mic pop out like the receiver to check?  Did not want to remove what is not supposed to be.

thx

Phonesrfun

There are separate wires inside the handset cord for the transmitter and the receiver.  Just because the transmitter works, is not an indication that the receiver works and vice versa. 

No problem with taking the transmitter out for inspection.  They are made to come out for replacement.  The transmitter just sits on a set of contacts and is held in by the transmitter cap.
-Bill G

WE554

Thanks Bill.  Are the two wires that are connected to the receiver also connected (or supposed to be connected) to the contacts behind the transmitter?  Can I access those?  If so, how?  Or would those most likely remain intact as they are inside the handset.  The transmitter and contacts both look good and I presume are touching the mic, otherwise whom I call would not have been able to hear me.  I'll dig out another cord somewhere.

poplar1

The green and white (or two white) wires inside the handset go to the receiver; the red and black go to the transmitter. inside the phone, green connects to GN, white and red connect to R, and black connects to B.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.