News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sometimes You Bite the Bear Part V

Started by Doug Rose, November 05, 2011, 03:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone who has tried to refurb color North Sets knows that getting the proper dial is key. Most color sets came with a matching fingerwheel, which 99 out of a 100 is missing or damaged. Next best thing is a clear North Fingerwheel. These are NOT easy to find either. I found a Buy it Now on Thursday and I received it Today!! Considering the shape of the phone, I took a chance. Sometimes you bite the bear! I love the sound of a North dial. This is a beauty. Perfect North handset with matching cloth cords. It is a frequency ringer, so the rest is trash. If anyone need anything from it, besides the handset, cords and dial, let me know or its trash on Monday....Doug
Kidphone

teka-bb

Hi Doug,

That indeed looks like a nice dial.

How does the mechanism of the dial look?  Any change of a picture of the back of the dial / dial mechanism?
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Doug Rose

Remco...I have left the spacer on so I don't lose it. 4 44....it's a war dial....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Dan

Hey Doug, the exact same phone is at my antique mall for $75. It is a straight line ringer. Is it worth it? Same dial (rural numbers only), cords are rubber.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

teka-bb

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 05, 2011, 04:56:44 PM
Remco...I have left the spacer on so I don't lose it. 4 44....it's a war dial....thanks...Doug

Doug,

Thanks for the photo.

Interesting construction. It looks different from other dials.
Regards,

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan on November 05, 2011, 04:57:17 PM
Hey Doug, the exact same phone is at my antique mall for $75. It is a straight line ringer. Is it worth it? Same dial (rural numbers only), cords are rubber.
Hey Dan...To me dials are everything. The longer you collect, the little things like the correct dial, proper finger wheel, original dial card....etc... mean a lot. Myself, I think North Galions are an underrated phone. They are very cool with a classic design. WE parts, these are like a 302. If its a working phone with No Chips Cracks or missing pieces, I would think it is worth it. I'd open the phone as it might say SLR, but I have found frequency ringer s when marked SLR. Does it look like this??....good luck.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: teka-bb on November 05, 2011, 05:01:33 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on November 05, 2011, 04:56:44 PM

Doug,

Thanks for the photo.

Interesting construction. It looks different from other dials.
Remco...The North dials have  the coolest sound, not like any dial I have ever heard. Almost like youe hearing it under water....take care...Doug
Kidphone

teka-bb

Hello Doug,

I've been thinking about adding sounds of phones, both dial and ringer, to the library.

Just don't have time enough. Maybe it could be added to the Wiki that was discussed on the forum recently.

Regards,

Dan

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 05, 2011, 05:05:56 PM
Quote from: Dan on November 05, 2011, 04:57:17 PM
Hey Dan...To me dials are everything. The longer you collect, the little things like the correct dial, proper finger wheel, original dial card....etc... mean a lot. Myself, I think North Galions are an underrated phone. They are very cool with a classic design. WE parts, these are like a 302. If its a working phone with No Chips Cracks or missing pieces, I would think it is worth it. I'd open the phone as it might say SLR, but I have found frequency ringer s when marked SLR. Does it look like this??....good luck.....Doug

Looks like the fifth picture. I have two Galions I got cheaply and I love them, but both have Freq. ringers.    I may have to open her up and see if it truly has a SL ringer.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

On the Black Galions, I like them with a chrome dial, but that's just me. The clear finger wheel I like on the colors, but not on the black, again...that's just me. I love the North clear fingerwheels with the nickel/chrome accents. This is strictly a personal call for you on this Dan, if it in your price range... do it, better yet....make an offer. Usually they will call the owner of the phone, if they are not the owner...good luck...Doug
Kidphone

Dan

Mine has the cut away chrome finger wheel. I know nothing about the dials and was wondering if a true north dial with a plastic finger wheel  was rare (always trying to learn from you guys).

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan on November 05, 2011, 05:39:15 PM
Mine has the cut away chrome finger wheel. I know nothing about the dials and was wondering if a true north dial with a plastic finger wheel  was rare (always trying to learn from you guys).
The cut away chrome finger wheel is a great looking dial and fine on the Norths. I'd be very happy with it if I were you. Look for an SLR....Doug
Kidphone

GG

Dave, don't toss that stuff in the bin, you never know when you might need some minor component or even a screw or strap.  Even a smashed bakelite housing is a source of raw bakelite for repairs to other sets. 

The black fingerwheels on those North dials (the same model as Dave has in clear plastic) used black plastic; not bakelite but something else that was softer. 

There was a subsequent generation of North dials that used basically the same mechanism as Ericsson (think Dutch PTT Ericsson) though with stamped brass chassis, and I remember the clutches on them being pretty stiff & stuck, so they did not wind up easily.  IMHO those would be reasonable on North sets too. 

I just picked up a North set at the show today for like $10 - 20, manual with no dial.  I'll be looking through my parts boxes for a North dial for it, earlier or later generation.

Doug Rose

GG....to paraphrase Chong or was it Cheech......Dave's Not Me Man! Whoa, am I dating myself! Remember the Album with the huge album size rolling paper.....  But I digress....Dave.....I mean.... Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 05, 2011, 09:46:19 PM
GG....to paraphrase Chong or was it Cheech......Dave's Not Me Man! Whoa, am I dating myself! Remember the Album with the huge album size rolling paper.....  But I digress....Dave.....I mean.... Doug

No....you are "Other Dave"

And that housing looks like a candidate for the "Bad Shipper" thread! maybe it wasn't busted until they mailed it to you but you didn't care, you were so happy to get the complete North dial.

Chong