News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 315 H: connecting to a WE 317 AD

Started by Mockingbird812, December 15, 2014, 09:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

If you are not a stickler for complete authenticity, you might consider a military surplus "decon box" (decontamination box). It looks just like the original battery box, but in a smaller size. It is made of heavy-duty plastic, generally olive-drab or black, and inexpensive. There are two sizes available - I believe that you could fit four C-cells inside the smaller one, but probably not four D-cells. Remember, the size of the original battery box was driven by the fact that it had to hold the old carbon-zinc dry cells. I think that four modern alkaline C-cells have more or less the same capacity, and the smaller box could be tucked into the phone if you so desire.

Here is one source, but there are others. They are popular with geocachers, and I expect to pay about $2 each for them.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/u-s-mil-decon-boxes.html

Bill

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on December 17, 2014, 11:00:51 AM
. . . but some people do make working replicas: http://www.radiolaguy.com/info/Vintage_Batteries.htm

I didn't try that link because I know there a lot of these replicas on eBay, all the same but with different wrappers. (Okay, tried that "radioguy" link and this is what he says at the top of his page:  "I offer replica battery labels, I no longer offer replica batteries.")

A little steep in the price on eBay though, $28.50 plus $7 shipping or BIN for $37.05 plus shipping, at least for my wallet. But, then, I don't NEED one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Battery-Dry-Cell-Western-Electric-Refillable-Telephone-Radio-Vintage-Old-/271708281338

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on December 17, 2014, 04:06:25 PM
I didn't try that link because I know there a lot of these replicas on eBay, all the same but with different wrappers. (Okay, tried that "radioguy" link and this is what he says at the top of his page:  "I offer replica battery labels, I no longer offer replica batteries.")

I posted it because he illustrates his method for making them yourself.
He only sells labels anymore and he has the best variety that I have seen.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on December 17, 2014, 05:58:37 PM
I posted it because he illustrates his method for making them yourself. He only sells labels anymore and he has the best variety that I have seen.

Yes, he does, both. I thought you might not have known that, that he doesn't make the battery replacements anymore.  His labels are either self sticking or on heavier paper needing glue. With what he charges for the label only plus the cost of parts and the construction time, maybe the eBay replacement batteries are a good price after all for those who don't want to do-it-themselves. It's a good reference link.

Mockingbird812

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I am planning to use an old battery box and making some correct looking dummy batteries to hold real alkalines.  I like this attention to detail!

On another front, I want to replace the original cords for the 315H and 317AD as they have seen better days.  I am looking for correct looking cords and am considering oldphoneworks.com as a source.  Which cord sets should I order as I am confused by the descriptions.  Am I correct in inferring that the 317 is a two wire cord and the 315 is a three wire cord - in the case of the 315, do I consider the 4th black wire which is looped back on itself (see attached photos)?

Once again thanks for all of your great inputs.
Sam

Phonesrfun

Yes, because the 317 only has the cord for the receiver, and the 315 feeds the deskset with a handset that has both a receiver and transmitter, with one wire each for the receiver and transmitter and one common wire. = 3 wires.
-Bill G

Mockingbird812

Performing a bit of archaeology on my hand set and noted a couple of stampings.  Are these date codes?

Thanks
Sam

poplar1

II 36 = second quarter of 1936
There are also dates on the cord restraints (shown in the first photo), the transmitter, the receiver and possibly the handset handle.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

The vermillion stamp is the date, indeed.   Second quarter 1936.
The smaller mark, B-7, is perhaps a mold identification. AFAIK, no one has really tracked these systematically. I do record them though in my records perhaps it turns out enlightening at some time.

Mockingbird812

Thanks for the info.  I'll check out those other parts for stampings as well.  I will be replacing cords on both phones and am interested in recommendations for a source.  thanks, Sam
Sam

Mockingbird812

So, I am pushing ahead with putting together some vintage looking dry cells to power my transmitters in my 315 & 317 phones and I had a basic electrical question.  I will be using the method outlined by RadiolaGuy (http://www.radiolaguy.com/info/Vintage_Batteries.htm#Make).  Does he imply from his directions that each of the three "dry cells" will have 1.5 V output (four 1.5V C size alkaline batteries in parallel) and since the three "dry cells" are in series will have a final output of 4.5 V?  Is my target voltage 3 or 4.5 V?

Edit: ok, I reread radiolaguy's instructions (more carefully  ??? ) and I see that he has the C batteries in parallel.  So, do I put two or three of these "dry cells" in a series?

Thanks
Sam

Kenton K

For the batteries, one just needs to hook them up in series. This will add the voltages together. Also, the voltages arn't too critical. I try for 3-5V.

I use this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400738854407?lpid=82

Best-Kenton

poplar1

The diagram in your wall phone shows it originally had 3 cells (4.5 volts). Along with a 5-bar 48A generator, this phone would have been sufficient on a heavily loaded line--say 20 phones on a 20-mile long party line. WE also made 2-cell models (3 volts). Either 3 or 4.5 VDC will be fine for your application.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mockingbird812

Thanks. Would 2 C batteries per dry cell be sufficient or do I need 4?
Sam

unbeldi

Quote from: Mockingbird812 on January 02, 2015, 07:01:22 AM
Thanks. Would 2 C batteries per dry cell be sufficient or do I need 4?

Connecting batteries in series, i.e.  + to —, and bringing the new, free ends to your phone increases the voltage for the pair together, while connecting batteries in parallel, + to + and — to —, and bringing + and — to the phone, creates a set that can provide twice the amount of total current but has the same voltage as each element by itself.

So, whether you "need" more current, depends on how often and how long you want to make telephone calls on your instrument, and how often you are willing to replace the batteries.  To operate a telephone this way on the short loop you will likely be creating in your home today, you only need two cells total, and for some phones even less.  There are actually some local battery phones that were intended to be used with only one D-size battery. However, this is somewhat rare, as this design requires an efficient transmitter.

The most common C- or D- sized battery holders come in the two-element variety, I believe, and this may be the most practical therefore. You could use two C-cells as well, depending on the capacity you like to have in your system. C cells might be a little cheaper for each replacement.

So, this is a decision that is entirely up to you...