News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Phones at Hotel Roanoke (Virginia)

Started by Nick in Manitou, November 06, 2013, 06:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Went to a wedding in Southwest Virginia over the weekend and stayed at the Hotel Roanoke.

The hotel was originally built in 1882 and was significantly changed in the 1930s or so, but it has a nice balance of old feeling and modern convenience.

Near the front desk are a couple old built-in phone booths with some older phones and in the lobby the house phone is a 302.  They all apparently work (they get you to the hotel operator).

I just thought it was great that a place like that would have interesting phones.

My wife took the photos with her phone...(I should point out that the hotel was very nice and clean although there was definitely something spilled on the shelf below one of the phones.)

AE_Collector

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on November 06, 2013, 06:09:56 PM
My wife took the photos with her phone

I bet your wife didn't realize that those phones were taking pictures of your wife and her phone as well!

It is neat seeing old phones in use like that. I sold a guy my NE 555 Cord Board a few years back as he wanted to install it in his Bed and Breakfast and he put AE 40's in all of the rooms. I only sold the 555 because I knew where I could easily get a replacement.

Terry

George Knighton

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on November 06, 2013, 06:09:56 PM
Went to a wedding in Southwest Virginia over the weekend and stayed at the Hotel Roanoke.
The first time I stayed there I somehow ended up in the President's Suite, and it was very hard to get over the cut red velvet wallpaper.  It looked more like a nineteenth century bordello than something anybody's president would want to stay in.

:-)

But you're perfectly right...it's a wonderful blend of old and new and I've always been very glad they found a way to keep it going.
Annoying new poster.

Dan/Panther

WOW ! Terry, I didn't know that.
Is it the NSA ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

decked002