News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Dad's 40 Years with Illinois Bell and his "Collection"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 12:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

Western Electric portable conference telephone. Model number (50??) escapes me for the moment.

There should be one on it but the photos are not detailed enough for others to see it.

Documentation for it resides in the TCI Library.

If you take clearer and more detailed photos showing the nomenclature plate it would be easier to pin-point it.

Of course with all of the knowledgeable collectors on this site someone may be able to recall from memory instead of guessing like myself.

G-Man

50A1 Conference Set

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2357&Itemid=2

Much more documentation in the TCI Library including schematics, etc.

MagicMo

I found a few phones with no dial, please tell me about them! Sorry the pics are bad. Hard to take a pic when you are squeezed in an attic.
Thanks.
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

MagicMo

twocvbloke

Those are generally known as Manual phones, where you lift the handset and an operator answers, you ask them to put you through to the number you required, some had a call button to notify the operator too, but it depends on where the phone was used... :)

These days they're handy for incoming-only lines, or to use where you don't want people dialling out... :)

G-Man

First photo is of a 302-series instrument. The model number should be stamped on the bottom along with the date of manufacture.

Kinda unusual since only the early models used an E1 handset. It may be original to the telephone or added later on. No-dial instruments were used in manual telephone exchanges, behind pbx switchboards or when it was desirable to restrict dialing outside lines on an extension.

The wall telephone is probably a 35x-series set, again the model and date are most likely stamped on its back.

G-Man

Here is a link to Paul Fassbender's fabulous site that should help you identify some of your telephones.
Since some of them look identical you will need to compare the model numbers stamped on the underside of you sets.
http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm

Here are some other variations showing your instrument that looks like a 302:
http://www.paul-f.com/wep302.html#D97464b

dsk

Welcome to the forum Maureen  :)
Lots of things I never had seen before, but you have reached the right forum to get the information needed.
You may get good hints about how to identify, whats important to tell in an eBay listing, how to wrap and pack.

Since I am on the other side of pond, please make it possible for us to bid. Regarding postage cost, it may be smart to clam to disregard the eBay calculator, and just charge real USPS costs.

Please remember, no part is to bad, or to simple to ask (here) if someone need it.

Good luck with your project, I hope all the things will find good new homes if you don't want to keep it.

dsk

MagicMo

Quote from: G-Man on November 18, 2012, 03:39:09 AM
Here is a link to Paul Fassbender's fabulous site that should help you identify some of your telephones.
Since some of them look identical you will need to compare the model numbers stamped on the underside of you sets.
http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm

Here are some other variations showing your instrument that looks like a 302:
http://www.paul-f.com/wep302.html#D97464b

Cool,
Thanks

MagicMo

Quote from: dsk on November 18, 2012, 03:40:37 AM
Welcome to the forum Maureen  :)
Lots of things I never had seen before, but you have reached the right forum to get the information needed.
You may get good hints about how to identify, whats important to tell in an eBay listing, how to wrap and pack.

Since I am on the other side of pond, please make it possible for us to bid. Regarding postage cost, it may be smart to clam to disregard the eBay calculator, and just charge real USPS costs.

Please remember, no part is to bad, or to simple to ask (here) if someone need it.

Good luck with your project, I hope all the things will find good new homes if you don't want to keep it.

dsk

I agree. I want what is fair for both sides. I would not price gouge  the shipping. I never "ebayed before" but it looks like I will be a pro before it's all over! I will alert the forum when I start auctioning, so everyone will be able to bid.  By the way, it's not that I don't want to keep everything, I just can't. He didn't only collect phone things, so unless I keep his house full of his stuff, I have no choice. I would be happy to know it is going to someone who would love it like he did and the cash would help too!
Thanks!
Maureen

AE_Collector

It looks as though Maureen's is a display unit possibly with the radio mounted in the wooden box and the Head attached to it for display?

Terry

AE_Collector

Generally the earliest phones were Magneto. These phones have a crank to signal the operator to come on the line to put your call through and they are frequently made of wood but there are newer metal, Bakelite and even plastic variety's.

Then came Manual or Common Battery Phones such as the ones you are showing here. No need for the crank, just pick up and the operator comes on the line. There were still some wooden ones but more commonly plastic and Bakelite phones as well as Candlestick phones.

Then came Automatic or Dial phones where you make the call yourself without an operators help. Later came the change from dial to push buttons. Wood was almost gone by this time frame but not completely and Bakelite or plastic continued to become the popular choice of materials.

Your father may have removed the phones shown from service when he installed newer dial phones for customers. What years did he work and did he work for Illinois Bell? Any idea what job classifications he did over his 40 years with them?

Terry

Greg G.

Anita just asked me if I wanted an airplane ticket to Illinois for my birthday!  I'm tempted!  She even suggested we do a forum group trip!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

If Anita is buying....go for a Deluxe rather than Plain ticket! Couldn't resist, I find myself stumbling over plain and plane lately too...lots of other words too come to think of it.

See you in Illinois!

Terry