"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ebay Seller trying to renege on sale

Started by wds, January 10, 2014, 07:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

Quote from: wds on January 10, 2014, 11:36:50 AM
I could release this hound, but about all he would do is beg for more food.

Since eBay makes all buyer/seller communication go through eBay,  when you report them for backing out eBay can see his lame excuse.  maybe eBay can make him fulfill his obligation.  the worst that could happen is the seller could state the item in broken and no longer available.  This happened to me on a plate I ordered. hopefully eBay can convince the seller to do the right thing.

Oh BTW,  maybe I can have my Basset Hound (see avatar) join your hound,  but the result would be the same - begging for food.

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

wds

I paid for the item, and left the usual packing instructions.  Next move is his.
Dave

Greg G.

Sounds like he was sure it would reach an acceptable price by attracting many bidders with a low starting price and no reserve, but it didn't.  IOW, he gambled and lost.  I've seen other sellers try to do the same thing, but removed the item from ebay when they saw it wasn't going to fetch a good price.  They included verbiage about canceling the listing at any time for any reason.

If it's any consolation, there's one for sale on Goodwill if you hurry, but it's a better phone with a higher bid:  http://tinyurl.com/kegt7yt
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: wds on January 10, 2014, 11:36:50 AM
I could release this hound, but about all he would do is beg for more food.

Reminds me of this clip:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZHoULa5DAo
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: Brinybay on January 10, 2014, 03:54:38 PM

If it's any consolation, there's one for sale on Goodwill if you hurry, but it's a better phone with a higher bid:  http://tinyurl.com/kegt7yt

Why do you think this Phone on goodwill is better? It is undecorated, paint is chipped, receiver cap is loose and dangling and the generator handle is bent. It seems to me the one on ebay is the better Phone.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Doug Rose

Dave....there are bad sellers out there. eBay will let him get away with it but give him a black mark. If you (a seller) are getting a discount on selling and meet eBay's extremestrict criteria you get 10% off your charges. Two people have to say your item wasn't as described and you are on suspension and do not get the discount, so I don't try to follow those rules. 100% feedback mean nothing to eBay.

I agree with you, pay it in full like you did.... it is his move. If he tries to cancel the sale you have to agree. Do not agree and take it to Paypal for a ruling. You probably won't get your phone, but make his life miserable. Don't be surprised it he comes back it was damaged while he was packing it or his nephew dropped it. I have heard them all.

.99 auctions are a sucker bet for a seller especially the way eBay runs hot and cold with prices. I never have a reserve and always have my starting bid as the least I will accept for what I am selling.

It is a very cool phone, love the writing on the metal base. Hopefully he will come around....Doug

Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on January 10, 2014, 09:30:19 AM
I went ahead and paid for the item and sent him an email expecting him to honor his commitment.  If he tries or succeeds in cancelling the sale he will get the appropriate feedback.

By paying for the item, you turned the offer to sell and the sale at auction end into a binding contract. Paying for the phone means you did your part, did not bail on payment, and the seller owes you the phone.

And, yes, the fair market price for that phone was exactly $26.00. The seller may think it has a much higher value but the market price was determined by that auction to be $26.

Matilo Telephones

Wether it was average market price or not, how is that relevant? Even if it was below market price the seller has no grounds to back out of the sale, doesn´t he? he may have extra regrets, but that part of the game. Otherwise he should have put it on ebay differently.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on January 11, 2014, 02:21:33 AM
Wether it was average market price or not, how is that relevant?

My point about the market price was only to illustrate that if he re-listed it, it may sell in the same price range the second time.  But like Doug says, anything can happen with ebay.    It's not relevant on how I view the seller's obligation.  He listed it, it sold, it's been paid for......ship it.

RotarDad

Ebay also has many "incentives" to encourage sellers.  You can often list for free in many cases, including starting prices and bin prices.  I bought a decent black Tenite 500 for .99 once but the seller took the risk.  I agree with Doug - I always sell with a start price I can live with, no regrets.
Paul

zaphod01

I've been working through a LARGE box of cameras that were my mother's and grandfather's. I have no interest in them. They aren't worth much and I've been starting them at $0.99.

I've got a Wollensak Model 74 8mm movie camera listed at $0.99 cents right now. I can't really justify throwing it away if there is anyone out there who might get some enjoyment from it. I list my actual shipping cost and hope for the best.

Last couple sold for $12.00 and $5.04. I just hope they go to good homes. Beats them ending up in the land fill.

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

TelePlay

Seems the seller has failed to honor/complete the sale you had with him and has relisted the phone today for a BIN price of $200 plus $18.90 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261373587017

Original listing says "Bidding has ended on this item. The seller has relisted this item or one like this." but shows 6 bids with the sale being $26 and the auction as "ended," not cancelled, withdrawn, etc. and next to the photo in the bid history it says "Winning bid:   US $26.00"

While the seller had asked you to " . . . please understand and cancel the purchase once the listing is over thank you.", I thought you paid after the listing was over? How does the seller get around that and put it back up for sale?

wds

I contacted EBay, and they don't seem to want to do anything.  They won't pull the new listing.  There is a tab in the middle of the new listing that says "Report Item".  All I can do is report the item as a fraudulent listing.  If more people report the listing, then Ebay might take action.  Ebay did tell me to leave negative feedback, which I did.  So much for "Buyer Protection". 
Dave

AE_Collector

Their buyer protection is an absolute JOKE! Try not to smash your computer screen when you see the smiling face of ebaY's president with the words "I guarantee it!" On some of the ebaY pages. They may guarantee it but ere is no way to actually contact them and make them live up to their guarantee.

I paid almost 10 times that amount for an item that the seller still has relisted on ebaY and I am still out $237 with no satisfaction from ebaY's president or even the ebaY janitor.

Try the PayPal buyer protection when your purchase doesn't show up.

Terry

tallguy58

Use Buy it Now and then don't pay for it.  Tell him you already did. ;D
Cheers........Bill