News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trying to wire 565HKM as a single-line telephone

Started by Craterranch, January 17, 2019, 08:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

In use with the key system unit the light would work. But this isn't the case any longer. So the light will not work, because it used the line card inside KSU for this. So the light is non functional the way it is. And cannot made to be functioning the way your using it.
KEN

compubit

You may be able to design/build a line detector circuit that can sense when the line is up in use to drive an LED, likewise a hold circuit using the hold button as the trigger.  Perhaps use Line 1 for handset, Line 2 for a speaker, and maybe 3/4/5 as signalling buttons? You might need an additional wires, but it's a way to get creative...

I defer to the internet regarding these circuits (I built a hold circuit in the 80s, and likewise had a line sensing circuit that would flash when ringing and was on when the phone line was in use).

(I know that I should provide examples, but am swamped at work to do some research - maybe this weekend).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

Hold won't work either (unless you are connecting to appropriate key equipment).

Terry

compubit

I know hold by itself won't work, but you could use the momentary connection in the hold button to trigger the circuit which puts the hold circuit in line and then forces the phone network out of the circuit.  Again, you'd have to build circuitry and would be completely modding the internals of the phone itself.

For me, that's a project for another day...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Key2871

Way back when I had a bunch of these and no key system, I wired the first line to be hold, second line was the talk line.
The first line I used the switch for the hold ckt to short the transmitter, one of the other switches I used for the lamp to light showing it was on hold. By being on hold it was actually on line, but that switch pair for H was shorting the transmitter in the handset. I was 17, had not clue 1 how the sets even worked. But after tinkering for a while, got it so I could do that, and control the speaker for a radio to reduce when off hook, or just shut off the radio using a switch on another line. I also had some neon 51lamps slid right into the same place, would flash when ring voltage was coming in a line. Pretty versatile sets if you had the know how to connect up things had to change some of the ties under the key to isolate from other things to do this, but there were plenty of terminals to wire those others to. I had fun playing with those before I actually got my first key system at age 32.

Ken
KEN