"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help with Panasonic 616/308 proprietary phone

Started by cloyd, February 02, 2016, 01:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Hello friends,
I bought a PT for my Panasonic 308 off of ebay:  a KX-T7030.  When I connect it to ext. 11 (CO line to #1), it is dead as a door nail.  I switched out the line cable with a known working one.  I know the 308 works when our cordless phone is connected to ext.11.  Is there something obvious that I am missing?

Thank you for the input,
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

dsk

As far as I remember this phone use 4 cords, the 4 in the middle of th RJ plug.

dsk

twocvbloke

Yes, a 4-wire cable is needed, the inner pair is voice, the outer pair is data, without the outer pair, the phone will appear dead...

cloyd

Thank you!
OK, this is a stupid question but can I tell the difference between a 4-wire cable and the "regular" kind?   :-[

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

cloyd

I went and looked at these cords and the one that was shipped with the phone looks to be a four-wire cable.  I swapped it out two others and still nothing.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Tina

poplar1

With the cord unplugged, count the gold-plated connectors in the plug on either end of the cord. It should have 2, 4, or 6 gold pins.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

I am going to point you to this topic about the great array of different Panasonic pbx's and analog/hybrid/digital telephone sets to try to determine that you actually have a compatible phone.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13519.0

At a quick glance I think the phone you bought looks to be one that would work with the type of Panasonic PBX's that support analog stations as well. But, is that the type of Panasonic PBX you have?

If it is compatible, I am not certain if there is a polarity issue with these phones or not. It is very easy to have a 4 conductor set cord that reverses the polarity of each pair. I know that many digital Nortel sets would appear dead if the polarity were reversed. Simply having a plug crimped on rotated 180 degrees from how it should be will reverse the polarity to the phone.

One more thing. Generally counting the number of brass pins in the plugs is indicitive of the number of cord conductors, it isnt guaranteed. Look to see how many individual conductors there seem to be in the cord. A 4 pin plug can be crimped onto 2 conductor cord and a 2 pin plug could be crimped onto a 4 conductor cord as well. Either of these combinations will only add up to 2 working conductors.

Terry

dsk

Quote from: poplar1 on February 02, 2016, 05:20:03 PM
With the cord unplugged, count the gold-plated connectors in the plug on either end of the cord. It should have 2, 4, or 6 gold pins.
The upper section about RJ 11 here could help: http://www.westernet.net/Help/RJ45.htm
It could be 4 or 6 golden pins, and the middle 4 should have wires.

dsk

Ktownphoneco

Tina  ....      I'm sure you've probably already checked this, but every now and again, we all miss something obvious.     According to the set's "Operating Instructions", there is a "handset / headset" selector slide switch on the back of the set.     If your using the set's standard handset, that slide switch needs to be set to handset.        The handset / headset switch should be the center switch in a group of 3 switches on the back of the set to the left of the line cord.
If it's already set to the proper position, disregard this posting.

Jeff Lamb

poplar1

Also, try plugging the proprietary phone into some other extension jacks.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cloyd

"The upper section about RJ 11 here could help: http://www.westernet.net/Help/RJ45.htm
It could be 4 or 6 golden pins, and the middle 4 should have wires.
dsk"

I greatly appreciate all of the input.  I will do more problem-solving when I get home and take pictures to post as well.

dsk, I looked at the westernet link and it talked about the black wire being on the left in the cable/RJ-11 (tab on the underside) and stays there to the other end and enters the RJ-11 (tab down).  Does that mean that the black wire is on the right side of the opposite RJ-11 plug?  Wouldn't that make it directional?  I have never noticed that in my casual use of phone cable.

Anyway, I already tried turning the cable end for end to ensure that wasn't the case.  Should I try it again to make sure?

Thanks,
Tina

Weco355aman

What is the model number of the Panasonic phone.
What is the model of the Panasonic KSU.

Panasonic made many different models of phone's and systems. Not all Panasonic
phones work with all other Panasonic systems.

Phil

cloyd

Quote from: cloyd on February 02, 2016, 01:32:26 PM
Hello friends,
I bought a PT for my Panasonic 308 off of ebay:  a KX-T7030.  When I connect it to ext. 11 (CO line to #1), it is dead as a door nail.  I switched out the line cable with a known working one.  I know the 308 works when our cordless phone is connected to ext.11.  Is there something obvious that I am missing?
This is my original post
Thanks for the input!

Keep it coming.

Tina

Jack Ryan

Quote from: cloyd on February 03, 2016, 05:44:47 PM

A 308 has 8 extensions - it you have 11 extensions on a 308 you must have optional boards installed. Not all optional boards support both SLT and proprietary telephones. Some are SLT only and some are proprietary only.

Have you tried plugging the proprietary phone into Ext 1 or 2?

Sorry if this has already been covered.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on February 03, 2016, 06:08:02 PM
Quote from: cloyd on February 03, 2016, 05:44:47 PM

A 308 has 8 extensions - it you have 11 extensions on a 308 you must have optional boards installed. Not all optional boards support both SLT and proprietary telephones. Some are SLT only and some are proprietary only.

Have you tried plugging the proprietary phone into Ext 1 or 2?

Sorry if this has already been covered.

Jack

The first extension number on a 308 system is No. 11.  They don't start at 1.  A 308 or 616 system cannot be extended with addons, except for the door intercom module which plugs into the rear bay.

The question that has not been answered so far is whether this PT works on any of the other ports of the PBX. While it cannot be used to configure the PBX features on other ports than the first (Ext. 11), it should still work and the LCD display should show the time.   This will at least establish the functioning of the telephone.

If this test is passed, and the phone does not 'light up' on Ext 11, then one has to assume that Ext. 11 is bad.   The two outer leads (pins 2 and 5) of the 6P4C connector also provide DC power to the telephone.   Each port has a protection circuit that can shut the power to the phone off if it draws too much current.

I have heard about systems that didn't provide power to entire groups of ports, but that was on 616, IIRC, where some support chips in the system are dedicated to eight ports, having two of those components internally.