News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Clear AE40

Started by MJL80, March 26, 2023, 09:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJL80

My Grandfather worked for AE.  my mother recently uncovered this model.  Ive done quite a bit of searching for information, but so far all I can come up with that it's possibly an AE40. Does anyone here know the story behind a clear AE40 being offered, because I can't find that being available?  Thank you.

Doug Rose

Welcome to the Forum, a picture would be great....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Hi and welcome to CRPF.

AE40 is a nice model, the clear version you have is a very nice addition to a collection and was the subject of a CRPF special auction contest back in 2014:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12636

Search for Clear AE40 using the search button above, this thread gives general AE40 background information:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=244

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

If that is an AE factory made clear version then I think it'll be pretty valuable.

HarrySmith

Welcome and congrats on a great phone. If not for Grandpa working at AE I would guess not original. Our own Kleenax makes clear phone reproductions and has done that model. Is it yours Ray? Most clear phones were not supposed to leave the factory but some were given to employees as gifts. I think that is how he got it. Very nice, no yellowing. That is a rare find!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MJL80

Thank you all for your help.  This is great to know.

LarryInMichigan

I would expect that phone to sell for more than $1000.

Larry

MMikeJBenN27

I don't think these were normally offered, they were mostly given to employees as gifts and as promotional items, which of course, makes all the more desirable.  Western Electric made a few clear phones, but not as many as AE.  WE also was not big on color the way AE was either.

Mike

TelePlay

This was Ray's creation which sold for $1,425 on eBay

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19662.0

in January of 2018.

They don't look the same (ringer gongs, the internal wiring between the handset cups and metal colors for example).

If this is an original AE manufactured clear phone, it would have historic value possibly making it worth more than the auction subject phone.

If AE original, it's provenance (factual documented history) would add to the value.

HarrySmith

That makes sense John. Another reason to believe it is original. Is it possible to see if your grandfather had any paperwork on it? You may want to try to document it for the future.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Robert Gift

Interesting seeing the bells upside down.  Later photo, normal.
I'd take an educated guess but am unqualified.
In paramediclass, doctor asked me signs of Alzheimers.  "I forget.", I answered.

Lighted Princess® telephones are our favorites!

To ensure an emergent transport call, I need only:
- take first sip of beer when eating pizza
- start shampooing in the shower
- pull bed covers over and get warm and cozy
- begin my OCD oil change.  (Remove oil plug to drain overnight.)

kleenax

Quote from: Robert Gift on March 28, 2023, 12:10:31 PMInteresting seeing the bells upside down.  Later photo, normal.
I like to turn the gongs over; they just look better to me!

As for the OP's Clear AE40, it is indeed an original factory Clear. They are most certainly RARE, and a coveted collector item, and can go for as much as $3,500, but we ALL know how volatile the collector market is these days.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Robert Gift

Quote from: kleenax on March 28, 2023, 07:39:06 PMI like to turn the gongs over; they just look better to me!
Can they be turned over?    Use long machine screws.
Collectors make it so that we cannot own such a phone and USE it.
I'd take an educated guess but am unqualified.
In paramediclass, doctor asked me signs of Alzheimers.  "I forget.", I answered.

Lighted Princess® telephones are our favorites!

To ensure an emergent transport call, I need only:
- take first sip of beer when eating pizza
- start shampooing in the shower
- pull bed covers over and get warm and cozy
- begin my OCD oil change.  (Remove oil plug to drain overnight.)

TelePlay

Quote from: Robert Gift on March 29, 2023, 01:30:43 PMCan they be turned over?    Use long machine screws.

Ray can best answer but I suspect by using brass posts, spacers, to attach the gongs upside down so they are still free floating, so they ring when hit.

kleenax

Quote from: Robert Gift on March 29, 2023, 01:30:43 PMCan they be turned over?    Use long machine screws.
Collectors make it so that we cannot own such a phone and USE it.
Certainly they can be turned over easily. All you need is a couple of longer (correctly sized) machine screws and also 2 pieces of brass tubing sized appropriately to act as spacers for the gongs.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC