"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello, New Member Here! - Marcelo L.

Started by Marcelo L., October 06, 2011, 04:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcelo L.

Hello,

I'm brand new to old telephones. I just picked up this Western Electric 202 Phone. I want to be able to get to it work with my Vonage (VOIP) phone service.

I've learned so far that my phone does not have an internal ringer and that I would need to get an external unit for it to function properly. Do I need a subset box or a ringer box or are they one and the same?

I've seen these phones for sale paired with black metal subset boxes; I much prefer the older
wooden boxes with the external bells, is this possible? If so, does it matter if it has a crank on it?

I've also read that I would need to upgrade the network to a modern network. I assume this is a component that is located within the subset/ringer box?

I just received the phone last night and gave it a good cleaning and polishing. I will have to replace the wiring as it is badly damaged. I'm also going to refelt the base.

Any other info, links, or resources you could send my way would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcelo

wds

Welcome to the forum!  Here's an example of a setup I put together for a family member - I used a 315 ringer box, and used the components from a 302 phone to act as the subset.  I used the original ringer from the 315 as it sounds wonderful, then all I had to add was the coil and condenser.  You can get 302's without a dial for about $20 with shipping, or with a dial for $30-40.  If you want to make the phone dial out, then get the 302 with the dial and use that dial in your D1.  My 315 oak box I got for cheap since it didn't have the generator, but did have the ringer.  I put a little elbow grease to it, and refinished it.  I think it turned out pretty good.  I can't help you with the VOIP - I'm sure someone else has that answer. 
Dave

Doug Rose

Welcome to the Forum, oustanding refurb of yor phone. Tell us how you did it ........Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Hi Marcelo,
Welcome! Nice job on cleaning it up! I agree the wood ringer boxes look much better! The one posted above with the 302 internals is a great example! Busted 302's are not hard to find as stated earlier you could get everything needed including a dial pretty cheap if you look. I do not know about Vonage but some here do and I am sure they will chime in. I do know there are pulse to tone converters out there so worst case you may need to add one in your ringer box.
A word of caution......this one phone will multiply quickly! I call it "phoneitis". Once it sets in it is progressive and incurable! The stricken person will be perusing ebay & craigslist endlessly searching for phones, he will awaken before the sun rises to get to flea markets and estate sales looking for anything phone related to satisy the craving. One phone turns into hundreds!
You are forewarned ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Marcelo L.

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 06, 2011, 06:09:20 PM
Welcome to the Forum, oustanding refurb of yor phone. Tell us how you did it ........Doug

Hey Doug, Thanks for the compliment. I used a damp rag with a little bit of dish washing soup to degrease and clean most of the grime. I followed that with a good polishing using No.7 Polishing compound. I went over the phone a few times until it was clean and smooth. After that I gave it a few coats of Turtle wax. There were a few small chips in the paint that I touched up with a black sharpie. I liked using the sharpie because it its not as glossy as touch up paint and it wont leave a glob. I found a picture of a dial card on the internet, printed it and cut to fit. All I have left to do is refelt the base and replace the wiring.   

Marcelo L.

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 06, 2011, 06:37:26 PM
Hi Marcelo,
Welcome! Nice job on cleaning it up! I agree the wood ringer boxes look much better! The one posted above with the 302 internals is a great example! Busted 302's are not hard to find as stated earlier you could get everything needed including a dial pretty cheap if you look. I do not know about Vonage but some here do and I am sure they will chime in. I do know there are pulse to tone converters out there so worst case you may need to add one in your ringer box.
A word of caution......this one phone will multiply quickly! I call it "phoneitis". Once it sets in it is progressive and incurable! The stricken person will be perusing ebay & craigslist endlessly searching for phones, he will awaken before the sun rises to get to flea markets and estate sales looking for anything phone related to satisy the craving. One phone turns into hundreds!
You are forewarned ;D

Harry, I know how that goes. I like to collect all kind of things; mainly useful antiques. I recently got into collecting antique desk fans from the early 1900's – 1950's, before that it was radios. I found this phone on ebay. I paid $24 shipped but I have to tell you, allot of the phones and ringer boxes I see on ebay are really pricey (as is of course with most collectibles)! I'm going to a big flea market this Saturday; hopefully I can find a nice ringer box.  

Marcelo L.

Quote from: wds on October 06, 2011, 05:02:14 PM
Welcome to the forum!  Here's an example of a setup I put together for a family member - I used a 315 ringer box, and used the components from a 302 phone to act as the subset.  I used the original ringer from the 315 as it sounds wonderful, then all I had to add was the coil and condenser.  You can get 302's without a dial for about $20 with shipping, or with a dial for $30-40.  If you want to make the phone dial out, then get the 302 with the dial and use that dial in your D1.  My 315 oak box I got for cheap since it didn't have the generator, but did have the ringer.  I put a little elbow grease to it, and refinished it.  I think it turned out pretty good.  I can't help you with the VOIP - I'm sure someone else has that answer. 

What a great example! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting!

LarryInMichigan

QuoteGary, I know how that goes. I like to collect all kind of things; mainly useful antiques. I recently got into collecting antique desk fans from the early 1900's – 1950's, before that it was radios. I found this phone on ebay. I paid $24 shipped but I have to tell you, allot of the phones and ringer boxes I see on ebay are really pricey (as is of course with most collectibles)! I'm going to a big flea market this Saturday; hopefully I can find a nice ringer box.

Marcelo,

Welcome to the forum.  Your phone looks great, and you got a great deal on it too.  I can identify with your collecting habits.  I also have a number of antique desk fans and radios, and alot of clocks as well.  I cannot resist things which are old, look good, and are useful.  Many people think that I am crazy when I tell them that I am speaking with them on a 75 year old phone and looking at a 75 y/o clock with a 80 y/o fan running nearby.

Larry

Marcelo L.

Quote from: wds on October 06, 2011, 05:02:14 PM

Is the ringer box below have the parts needed to perform the conversion you did on yours? Is this a fair price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-No-300-Local-Battery-Ringer-Box-W-Oak-Cabinet-/300607503192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd9a7b58  --  ( dead link 7/27-2018 )

wds

Yes, I believe so.  That doesn't look like a correct magneto, but I would pull that out anyway.  Keep in mind that this is a model 300 box, which is a little larger than my model 315 box.  If you don't mind the larger size, and with a little cleaning, this one should look real nice.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Marcelo,

You should probably be able to use the ringer in that box, and I think that $20 with shipping is a very good price.  You can buy the inductor coil and condenser for cheap from Steve Hilsz (http://phonesurplus.com/302parts.html) if you don't have a spare 302 and don't want a dial.

Larry

wds

I second that motion - for $5.50 you can buy the network parts from Steve to complete the subset.  On second thought, I might leave the magneto in there just for a conversation piece.  The description seems to indicate that the magneto doesn't work, but that's ok since you don't want to hook it up anyway.
Dave

Marcelo L.

What's the magneto? Is it the piece that's attached to the inside of the door behind the bell? I thought the magneto was the piece inside the box that the crank attaches to.

Thanks for helping me out with all my newbie questions.

LarryInMichigan

The magneto is the generator to which the crank is attached.  It was used to generate a voltage to ring the ringer.  You can leave it in place, but it will not be electrically connected to anything.  If it works, you could connect it to a low wattage light bulb for fun, if you wish.

Larry

Marcelo L.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 07, 2011, 10:10:38 AM
The magneto is the generator to which the crank is attached.  It was used to generate a voltage to ring the ringer.  You can leave it in place, but it will not be electrically connected to anything.  If it works, you could connect it to a low wattage light bulb for fun, if you wish.

Larry

It appears that the unit listed on ebay is missing the entire magneto assembly (at least that's the way it appears in the pictures). The seller also mentions that it's a battery box, is this true? If so, what would the battery be for?