"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg wall phone

Started by AT2796, December 13, 2018, 03:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AT2796

Hello everyone!
I have had this Kellogg wall phone for quite a few years, always as an interesting display. I always had the thought of getting it to work again, but it just floated around the back of my mind only surfacing occasionally, until...
Until I started reading this forum!

So I was looking at this posthttp://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5616.0
First, just by looking at my pics below, do you guys think this may work or would I be better served by placing a later model network in the battery void? I understand that I may have transmitter issues with it being so old, and obviously the receiver cord needs a little help.
Second, can anybody post a picture of the circuit described in the linked post above?
I appreciate your thoughts and help!
Andy

AT2796

Rotated photos
Andy

RB

Hi. Nice phone!!!
Keep it original.
Oldguys circuits work well.
I have built one for myself. Installed it inside my switchboard.
Be sure and read his whole chapter about the conversion, so you understand how it works, and what doesn't.
You may wish to add a dial to your phone. "inside, or outside, doesn't matter".
Then, you can use it to place calls.
The transmitter may be able to be swapped with say, a T1??? These guys will know.
Rec cords are easy to get/replace.
Good luck, and post your progress/success please!
I for myself, would like to see someone else do this too.

rdelius

Not a Kellogg telephone..The transmitter might be a Kellogg though. Note Chicago Telephone on magnito. They made telephones for Sears and Montgomery Wards.

Pourme

~

I am not as learned as most of those here, especially on wood phones, but....first thing I noticed was four hinges on the door. I don't recall noticing that on others. My Kellogg has three black hinges.

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AT2796

Yes 4 hinges, 2 for the ringer circuit and 2 for the transmitter.
I would think that rdelius is correct. I just assumed it was a Kellogg because of the Kellogg transmitter.
Thanks for the diagrams RB!
I would still like to see the actual circuit oldphoneguy suggests "in person". I think I have the skill and tools to build it, just need an image for me to steal errr I mean copy!
Andy

Jim Stettler

I am not a woodie. Hinge count is a valid consideration . AT2796 covers the 4 hinges
The hinges all connect to circuits. That is something I consider on "firewood" sets.
Does the  make "simple sense" if you can follow a circuit and it goes nowhere. It doesn't meet the eyeball test.
If all circuits seem to connect then I visualize how the circuit works in the current configuration. On wood sets the main circuits are obvious, they are laid in wood. If these circuits aren't there it is a good indicator of a Frankenset. Transmitter and receivers get messed with by dealers and other  people.
JMO,
Jim S.

When firewood was popular, antique dealers would complete newer sets with old parts they had around. I have heard stories of an 1960.s vintage  plain top plain front wood phones with ost ponies and a longpole  receivers found at an antique stores for 50% or less than the value of the  receivers. There are still sets like that out there. OST ponies and longpoles are worth a lot more now.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

Receivers and transmitters were frequently changed out when defective. The Kellogg transmitter was most likely better than the   Chicago one. Chicago sets had many parts made with chrome or nickle  plated steel parts instead of brass.Chicago was still in business as CTS and made level pots for electronics

RB

Quote from: AT2796 on December 13, 2018, 08:26:16 PM

I would still like to see the actual circuit oldphoneguy suggests "in person". I think I have the skill and tools to build it, just need an image for me to steal errr I mean copy!
By circuit, do you mean the circuit board with the parts on it?
The schematics for it are in the pics I posted.
If you visit his websight, right there on the home page, in red I think, is a description of his Local Battery to Common battery conversion with a "click here" for the whole book on the project.

AT2796

Quote from: RB on December 14, 2018, 12:05:46 PM
By circuit, do you mean the circuit board with the parts on it?
The schematics for it are in the pics I posted.
If you visit his websight, right there on the home page, in red I think, is a description of his Local Battery to Common battery conversion with a "click here" for the whole book on the project.

Yes, exactly.
I am not really an "electronics" guy. I can understand Oldphoneguy's diagram (mostly) and the reason for it, I would just like to have a reference to copy.
the only question I have about his diagram is the relay on the line side. I'll try to show it in an image below.
I am not sure about the relay circled in red. Is this a small relay available at radio shack or similar store? does it have any electronic value (other than open/closed)?
Again, I appreciate your time and help!

Andy
Andy

RB

Andy
Those contacts are assoc with the 5-6 volt relay in series with the power supply.
When you lift the rec, it closes the circuit for the power supply.
This engages the relay, and the contacts close.
That is what puts your wood phone on line, so you hear the dial tone.
The contacts you circled, are in that relay.
It is a simple DC relay, nothing special.
Here is a pic of the circuit board

AT2796

Thanks RB!
I will get to work on collecting and construction after Christmas. In the meantime I'll be cleaning and testing as it sits right now.

Thanks again!

Andy
Andy