News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

211 Spacesaver Dial Blank

Started by HarrySmith, September 19, 2011, 08:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Last week a member on the ATCA list offered an early 211 with a dial mount and a dial blank. Very strange setup and seemed unique to me. Apparently he got a lot of replies within minutes but mine was first so I bought it. It arrived this weekend with the dial blank broken! I contacted the seller who has offered to take it back and refund my money but I really do not want to return it! Does anyone have anything like this? Have any of you seen this before? It is new to me! Any ideas for a replacement?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

I think the dial blank is a Kellogg or a Conn, not positive
Robby

LarryInMichigan

It sure doesn't look like a WE blank to me.  Since the dial housing was optional on these anyway, I cannot imagine that WE would have shipped 211s with dial housings with dial blanks.  That would seem like a waste of parts.

Larry

GG

PhoneCo has many kinds of 3" dial blanks at reasonable prices.  You could ship them that one and see if they could match it.  Or just order a bunch and see what works.

Wallphone

Harry, I have one very similar to yours and it has a Kellogg number card on it. Mine has straight sides and it is .425" thick. Phoneco has one at the bottom left of this page, < http://tinyurl.com/6kc6bkg > DBKEL.
Good thought Larry, why would you get the dial option and put a blank on it?
Doug Pav

HarrySmith

Yes, it is strange there is a dial mount and a dial blank. That is what attracted me to it. I have to get it apart to see exactly what it is. Will post more pictures when I get it apart.
Thanks guys!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

If I were going to guess, I would say that the phone originally had a #2 or #4 dial, and someone happily traded a dial blank for it, but I won't.

Larry

Wallphone

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 20, 2011, 09:37:16 AM
If I were going to guess, I would say that the phone originally had a #2 or #4 dial, and someone happily traded a dial blank for it, but I won't.

Larry
I was thinking along the same lines that it is some sort of home brew, but I would kinda think that there would still be wires running to the dial shroud but I don't see any. I guess we could speculate all day on the history of it, but it won't do any good.
Doug Pav

HarrySmith

Today after much "gentle prodding" from my wife I finally got around to going through all the phone stuff I have been throwing in a corner of the office. While I was seperating stuff and arranging it into some semblance of order I came across a box of number rings and dial blanks, one of the dial blanks is a match to the broken piece!  Now I can put my funny 211 back together! Pictures to follow.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"