News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Radio Shack: 25% off....

Started by Babybearjs, February 04, 2015, 07:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I went into my local radio shack yesterday and found that the store had everything on sale for 25% off..... going out of business....... they are in talks with Sprint to take over some of there stores (converting to total phone store) and they will close the rest of the stores.... (MSN 2/2/15)
it was sad yesterday, I went in to get the telephone spade terminals and the cashier was all alone, the Internet was off-line and she had to manually write up the sales receipt and process the CC the old way. thank god they still had the old CC stamper. I had to show her how to use the unit..... no wonder they're going out of business!
John

poplar1

Did she also pressure you to give your name and address---so they could send you catalogs?!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

andre_janew

I wonder if the Radio Shack here in Lawrence, Kansas is still around.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on February 04, 2015, 07:19:08 PM
Did she also pressure you to give your name and address---so they could send you catalogs?!

Did she also pressure you to buy a lot of batteries?

As to Radio Shack, they did start out a long time ago selling HAM stuff. I remember when they stocked most vacuum tubes and full lines of resistors, capacitors, speakers, chokes, transformers - mostly an electronic parts store. Times changed and it seems they became a buggy whip of tech.

So, are all stores closing or just the one you went to? They shut down a couple in the metro area here for lack of sales but the others were doing fine. Their stock is in the pennies so what I've heard is they will be no more in the near future. Sad to see what Archer/Tandy once was disappear.

Kenton K

i went to my local one just now. I bought the stock of telephone spade terminals, about 5 bags. The employee said they are unsure how long the shops are going to be liquidating. So until then, they will just be clearing things out with a 25% slash.

Ken

19and41

That's a milestone I could've lived without.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Radio Shack left Canada years ago and was replaced with a store called "The Source"

Mr. Bones

Quote from: 19and41 on February 04, 2015, 08:40:31 PM
Yup, me too...

I still remember riding a bicycle across town with a satchel of carefully marked and wrapped vacuum tubes, to use their tube tester. Then scrimping and saving from mowing lawns, paper route, snow shovelling, etc. to replace them, one by one.

For the most part, though, I got most of my Grandfather's old  (20's-late 40's) tube radios working when I was 10-12 years old. ;)

Good thing I didn't know a thing about capacitors, could have gotten killed. ;)

Best regards!

<edit> Thanks, teleplay! Almost forgot about the Battery of the Month Cards... :D
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on February 04, 2015, 08:40:31 PM

Yep, ditto on that.

Just drove over to my local store, about 5 blocks away. Nothing on sale. Didn't matter, nothing to buy. The front windows were clear of all ad type stuff. The floor shelves were gone. The wall shelves were half full. The selection of what was left was not good. I'd say they just didn't do any restocking after the holidays. And no telephone spade lugs so bought a can of contact cleaner, just for old times sake, I guess. Sad day.

Greg G.

Quote from: poplar1 on February 04, 2015, 07:19:08 PM

I hated that about them, I always refused.  To be fair, other various merchants want to use my phone number, which I also refuse.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

Heard on NPR at 1744 today: Radio Shack filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy today.

The agreement requires them to sell half their stores, and close the remainder.

You should be able to catch the article, and interview on your radio, or likely at npr.org.

Sigh.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

19and41

Well, as long as the RS outlet on Ebay is doing business, I will have a store nearby.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

I wonder if they will go strictly online? if so.... everyone will have to pay shipping.... Yuck!
John

princessphone

There still might be some relieve. I read that Sprint will take over a lot of their stores and continue to sell RS products in a section in their stores.
John