News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

D1 Phone, E1 Handset. No Dialtone

Started by DiaLen, September 30, 2015, 02:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiaLen

I have finally wired my D1 phone to my 634BA subset and hooked up the line cord. When I call the house number from my cell phone the subset rings loud and clear.  :D
When I pick up the E1 handset and go to dial out, I have no dial tone. Dialing the 4H dial does nothing.  :(
I've checked the wiring in the base of the phone body and believe it to be good. I'm attaching a photo to show what that looks like. I'm also attaching photos of the receiver, thinking that may be where the problem is.
Is there a way to test/diagnose the receiver?
I would think a problem like this would be in the phone wiring or the receiver and not the subset.
Any help/advice is much appreciated. I'd love to get this old phone up and running!
-Len
Be faithful to the commitments of your life.

DiaLen

Doing more searches on this, I realize I should probably add that this phone has a 202 circuit.

Phonesrfun

The base appears to be wired correctly.  Now check inside the handset to check its wiring and make sure there is a functioning transmitter.  Your E1 handset will have one of two types of transmitters, and with no transmitter or a bad handset cord going to the transmitter, you would have a dead phone since the transmitter is in series with the primary side of the circuit.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Len...test the handset first, bring DT to just the disconnected leads of the handset. If that works, remove the dial and make it a manual set to make sure it is not the dial. If its the dial, send it to Steve Hilsz and replace it for the short term...good luck....Doug
Kidphone

DiaLen

Thank you for the responses.

From another thread January 16, 2015:
"WesternElectricBen-  202 w/ 684 Subset Project - Having Troubles"  Poplar1 writes: Did you make sure there is no continuity between any of the four switch contacts, as unbeldi suggested, when there are no wires connected to the switch terminals and when the plunger is pushed down? Then, when you release the plunger, you are measuring ~ 0 Ohms  between GN and W, and also ~0 between Y and BK, but infinite between W and BK?
I did as poplar1 suggested and everything checked out. So I suspected my hook switch is operating properly.
Also, once the wires were reconnected and I touched the W and BK terminals on the hook switch with the probes of my ohmeter, I got a scratching/static sound out of the transmitter. So I believe that's probably working ok.

I laid in bed this morning thinking about this whole issue and came to realize the D1 phone is just an assembly of dead mechanical switches when there is no electrical connection provided by the mounting cord. And my phone is certainly dead. So I needed to make sure the cord was good. Sure enough, after checking it this morning, the cord appears to be bad. I have no continuity through the black or green wires. The yellow and red wires check out ok.
At this point I'm guessing I need to replace the mounting cord and will get to work on that today.
Please let me know if that doesn't sound right.
Also, I thank you all for helping me with this. I think I'll be able to get this phone working now.
-Len

DiaLen

Just to close this out, I did replace the mounting cord and that solved the problem.
The phone and subset are now operational and I've learned a little bit more about these old phones thanks to this forum!
-Len

Doug Rose

Len....beautiful phone and subset, you did a wonderful job. Looks like a celluloid dial plate. Very Nice.

One suggestion would  be to replace the repro dial card and install a real WE dial card. It will make a HUGE difference.... JMHO....Doug
Kidphone

DiaLen

At your suggestion I reinstalled the dial card it had when I got it.
I think I'll leave it this way.
Thanks,
-Len