News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Black or Brown 500?

Started by JimH, November 24, 2008, 08:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

I recently saw this telephone on ebay, the seller insists it is a brown 500 with the date of 12/55 on the bottom.  To me it still looks black, and the fingerwheel is incorrect if it was a genuine brown 500, unless the fingerwheel was replaced.  The cord is supposed to be brown, but doesn't look "fat" enough to be original.  He says the line cord is black.  What do you guys think?
Jim H.

benhutcherson

I was bidding on this telephone at one point.

The seller indicated that the bottom date was 12-55. Also, the feet are leather, and the cord has a G3 handset.

Also note that the handset cord strain relief isn't tapered, as would be expected for handset cords from the '50s.

The line cord is noticeably darker than the handset cord and the telephone body. If we take the sellers word that the cord is indeed black, the telephone does indeed look brown to me.

I am reasonably confident that the telephone is a genuine brown telephone. I had planned on bidding $50, though, as I didn't feel confident bidding more than that without being 100% confident. I wouldn't have been willing to gamble $180 on it.

Perry

It looks pretty black to me, especially if you remove the green color cast.

The seller presumably has the phone, though, and would be in the best position to judge the color.

McHeath

I watched this one too for awhile.  It might be brown, as there is some difference between it and the line cord.  But the terrible picture certainly did not inspire confidence.

Mark Stevens

Sure looks black to me.  How's the seller's feedback? I think they're clearly trying to pull a fast one, and I'd be surprised if their feedback didn't reflect that.

Dan/Panther

After Perry enhanced the photo and the colors look natural, I'd vote black.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Call the number on the number card and ask if they've ever had a brown telephone. ;)

It feels black to me, but anything's possible with that photo.  There are a couple clues which would support the brown claim.  One is the tiny stubby strain relief at the handset end of the handset cord which was only used on early 500s.  If the handset cord is original to the phone, and the phone is black, it should have a metal finger wheel.  But if that cord is original to that phone and it has an original plastic fingerwheel, it should be a colored phone. 

This is one of those auctions where taking a gamble could pay off, but I don't think I'd take the gamble, myself.

Did this one go for $180?
= DARRIN =

JimH

Quote from: bingster on November 24, 2008, 02:24:15 PM
Call the number on the number card and ask if they've ever had a brown telephone. ;)

It feels black to me, but anything's possible with that photo.  There are a couple clues which would support the brown claim.  One is the tiny stubby strain relief at the handset end of the handset cord which was only used on early 500s.  If the handset cord is original to the phone, and the phone is black, it should have a metal finger wheel.  But if that cord is original to that phone and it has an original plastic fingerwheel, it should be a colored phone. 

This is one of those auctions where taking a gamble could pay off, but I don't think I'd take the gamble, myself.

Did this one go for $180?
Yep.  $180.
Jim H.

mienaichizu

definitely looks black to me, maybe its because the ambient lighting when the photo was taken that makes the phone looks brown

Dan/Panther

I'd hate to pay $180.00 for a phone and have to wait for certain lighting conditions to tell what color it is.
D/P

Perry

That sickly greenish tinge in the original photo is usually caused by using a daylight or flash white balance setting with fluorescent lighting. It's not the best lighting for judging color, but I would not have bid on that one expecting to get a brown phone.

Dan/Panther

Now here's a Co-Winky Dink for you.
I just received the pay phone I won on ebay, and usually one of the first things I do to a phone is remove the caps, and check for dates etc.
Well I pulled the Black caps off of the Automatic electric handset, and you guessed it, it was brown inside.
D/P

Perry

Do you normally have million-dollar bills lying around on top of your desk?
:)

Dan/Panther

Of course, doesn't everyone, where do you keep yours?
D/P

HobieSport

Never mind the two million...is that an AE80 in "seafoam" color in the background?

What kind of payphone did you get, D/P.  Curious that it is brown plastic painted black.