News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Somethings are just better left to the imagination. It's like saving that last present at Christmas time, once it's opened that's it. So you put it off and wait, and wait, and wait.....
10 years ago, when I moved into my house I'm in now, we bought the property as is, the guy just walked away and left everything. furniture even food in the cupboards the whole 9 yards. it took about 6 months to go through most of the stuff, it was sad and exciting all at the same time. Well anyways there was this wooden box in the the guys workshop. It was like a small footlocker. I saved that box for last, because once it was opened that was the end of the adventure. Do you know I did not open that box for almost 2 years. When I finally opened it, it was stocked full of automotive diagnostics equipment, Dwell meter, Timing light, amp gauges all the hot stuff to tune up cars. but can you believe it, I had the patience to wait 2 years without opening that box.
That is a true story.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 01, 2010, 12:27:15 AM
Somethings are just better left to the imagination. It's like saving that last present at Christmas time, once it's opened that's it. So you put it off and wait, and wait, and wait.....
10 years ago, when I moved into my house I'm in now, we bought the property as is, the guy just walked away and left everything. furniture even food in the cupboards the whole 9 yards. it took about 6 months to go through most of the stuff, it was sad and exciting all at the same time. Well anyways there was this wooden box in the the guys workshop. It was like a small footlocker. I saved that box for last, because once it was opened that was the end of the adventure. Do you know I did not open that box for almost 2 years. When I finally opened it, it was stocked full of automotive diagnostics equipment, Dwell meter, Timing light, amp gauges all the hot stuff to tune up cars. but can you believe it, I had the patience to wait 2 years without opening that box.
That is an true story.

D/p
I always let my phone packages age for at least an hour. I waited a day+ on my clear SC fatboy trade  so I could open it on my birthday, Then I took 2 hours from box open to final unwrapping.  Anticipation.....

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan

When I get home from work and have a phone "box" waiting, I sometimes force myself to enter the payroll and daily totals on the computer and wait on the phone as a "reward" once I get the work issues out of the way :)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Jim S. on March 31, 2010, 11:21:17 PM
Jorge,
That is a very good point, w/ a socket you could try out variations of tube design. once the tube was finalized there was no longer a need for the socket. The existing  tube may have a model # or date on it.

Jim

Maybe. The 426A tube plus socket assembly were dated and the caption "426A" is visible from the back of the socket.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Exactly what did you use to open the EQ, and how exactly did you do it.
I don't want an EQ with a cracked cover, or disabled component.
D/P

Phonesrfun

On my EQ, there are four slightly crimped indentations that crimp over the plastic cover.  It was just a matter of bending them outward with a pretty small flat-tipped scrwdriver.  I used a large jeweler's screwdriver.  The crimped things were pretty easy to bend out, since the can is made of aluminum.

Does yours have those four crimps?

I can take a picture of the top of the can on mine when I get home.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

OK, The suspense is finally over. I opened up the EQ as per Bill's instructions.
All I found inside were a Hole, and a 60 Year old piece of Dirt.
I have to apologize for such a disappointment.
I just realized I put the EQ back together, and didn't remove the dirt. ::)
D/P

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Phonesrfun

What is on the underside of the cover? and what was the nut used for?

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Luckily you didn't remove the dirt. Perhaps you can cabon date it.

Are there any carbon daters on the list?

I'm no expert, but from the photo I would guess  it dates between 1948 AD and 1949 AD.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Jim:

The plot thickens. Where is D/P's EQ?  ??? ??? ???
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Well I guess my suspense and sense of humor is out of place. So I guess I have to post a photo of the internal parts.
Boy a guy just can't ever have any fun anymore.

Bill;
The nut holds stuff to the can, and under the cover is the stuff. ;D

This is how I see it.

Photos
#1-Looking directly at the module components and the mounting screw, The mounting screw is part of the Varistor, and also acts as a heat sink. This view is facing the front of the phone.
#2-Side of the module that faces in. The resistor is a 100 ohm Dogbone style.
#3-Faces the ringer.
#4-Faces the side of the phone, or out, note the number 562, inside of the tube. BTW, the tube almost looks custom made.
#5-Directly from top, right is towards front of the phone.
#6-Backside of the varistor, note number 35 same as EQ housing.

All markings I found, have been mentioned.

I received the feet from Dennis today, and they look great. I will mount them shortly and post photos.
I need to slow down, my 15 minutes is almost up..... :o
D/P

Changes made to original post as per corrections by Bill Guerts.

Dan/Panther

Come to Papa, Baby needs a new pair of shoes, and She got them with a very special thanks to Dennis Hallworth.
I doubt I would ever cover my own feet again, they are fabulous.
Uh! Uh! Don't you, step on my brown suede shoes.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Great April Fool's gag Dan......and those foot pads look great!

Phonesrfun

I was wondering if you weren't trying to pull something, or pulling our collective legs.  To tell you the truth, I would have tried to do the same thing.  I kind of thought it was funny.

The little dog-bone "thingie" is the 100 ohm resistor that is in series with the varistor thermistor.  The metal screw is glued to the varistor, and I am going to hereby claim to be the winner of the guessing game that it was used as a heat sink against the surface of the can.

The thermistor, by the way is enclosed in the glass tube-like enclosure with the filament.

Great to see those new feet.  Nothing like a new pair of shoes.  They look absolutely great.

-Bill
-Bill G