"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 01, 2010, 11:20:51 PM
Can anyone tell me the offset in degrees of the center of the fingerwheel?
I get 7 Degrees.
D/P
I downloaded you picture into Digital Image.  This shows the side adjacent to the angle is 2.00 and the side opposite the angle is 0.24.  Using a tangent table, the tangent of 0.12 would be 7 degrees.

Is the fingerwheel 4 inches in diameter?

Dennis

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
The fingerwheel is 2-15/16" diameter.
Thanks, sometimes my high school dropoutedness gets in my way.
Thanks again for those wonderful feet.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

dencins

Thanks. 

I was concerned that the new pads might not fit over the triangles on the base plate.  Looks like that was not a problem.  You are doing a really good job on this project.

Dennis

Dan/Panther

Quote from: dencins on April 02, 2010, 12:34:31 AM
Thanks. 

I was concerned that the new pads might not fit over the triangles on the base plate.  Looks like that was not a problem.  You are doing a really good job on this project.

Dennis

Dennis;
Certainly not by myself though.
D/P

baldopeacock

D/P, how did you get the rest of the duct tape residue off the bottom?

Doug Rose

D/P.....what have decided on finishing the phone? Are you leaning toward having Ray Kotke make you a clear cover and handset? With the rarity of this great phone and dial, I would think you would want the insides to be seen, but also have a working telephone. This been a most entertaining thread. Your work here is top notch and you should be very proud....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

BOP;
I used Q-tips soaked in WD-40, I rubbed the WD on a small area, and left it soak for awhile. The glue still refused to come off. So I thought about what Bwanna had said, about scraping it off. I have a small plastic ruler on my desk, and I carefully used the edge on a spot that was off of the writing. Much to my surprise the residue came off with very little effort or pressure, it was still a dry powdery consistency, but came right off. I then carefully tried a spot by the lettering. It came off, and didn't leave a mark whatsoever anywhere. The rest came off with Q-tips and WD-40.
"No Phones were damaged in the making of this post."

Doug;
I'm very proud of all the support and help I've received.

I want the insides to be seen, then on the other hand I like the looks of the phone in the Henry Dreyfus photo. So for now, I will most likely have a Black cover, then when Money permits I would like to have a clear cover for show display. A third possibility is to remove the cover at shows for display, under a cover.
The thread is interesting to me, in the respect, that it is very exciting to be on the side of being able to touch  what others have written about rather than just reading it.
One other time I have had the privilege of actually having possession of an object that I had read about. My Dad owned a rifle, a Winchester model 1886, Cal. .40/82, the serial number on the rifle is 7. My Dad bought the rifle from a firend that was married to William F. ( Buffalo Bill ) Cody's Granddaughter. A popular ad in most gun magazines in the 60's was, "You can't own Buffalo Bill's Winchester, But you can own Winchesters Buffalo Bill'. It was to advertise the remake of a commemorative rifle of his original. We were able to establish that William Cody had purchased several different calibers of the new Model 1886 rifle made by Winchester in 1886, Winchester Archives said; "they knew he had purchased 5 different calibers of the rifle, but sales records had been lost in a fire.
I still have the rifle, so "YES, You can own Buffalo Bill's Winchester", You just can't prove it beyond a reasonably certainty.

D/P

Jim Stettler

D/P,
You could always check Buffalo Bill websites and Museums.
There is a very slight chance that he kept his copy of the receipt and it ended up archived somewhere.
Just a thought,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

Perhaps this phone, and maybe your rifle, are perfect subjects for the PBS show History Detectives.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/

It would be interesting to see what they can dig up about this 500.

The feet look great, and the phone is so clearly in good hands, nice work all around D/P!

Dan/Panther

Nothing is more rewarding than acknowledgment from ones peers.
I wish I had a thousand of these, so everyone that wanted one, could have one.

I don't understand why I have this phone, but I do want everyone to know, I fully realize how significant it is, and promise to do my utmost to preserve it for the future of the hobby.
Now, I'm going to go look at it, and hold it....BWAAAAHHHAAAAAHAAAA! :o ::) :-*

D/P

baldopeacock

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 02, 2010, 12:53:52 PM
BOP;
I used Q-tips soaked in WD-40, I rubbed the WD on a small area, and left it soak for awhile. The glue still refused to come off. So I thought about what Bwanna had said, about scraping it off. I have a small plastic ruler on my desk, and I carefully used the edge on a spot that was off of the writing. Much to my surprise the residue came off with very little effort or pressure, it was still a dry powdery consistency, but came right off. I then carefully tried a spot by the lettering. It came off, and didn't leave a mark whatsoever anywhere. The rest came off with Q-tips and WD-40.
"No Phones were damaged in the making of this post."

Great job on that and hats off for your patience.   Old duct tape goo is not easy to remove.

Jim Stettler

I found another pertinent (sorta ) Article.
It is in the "Bell System Technical Journal"
January 1951
" The Ring Armature telephone receiver" (g-type handset).
I haven't read it yet.
Here is the link:
http://www.archive.org/stream/bellsystemtechni30amerrich#page/110/mode/1up
It is mainly technical, there is a photo of them making sound measurements.
Jim

Note: the link has been  tweaked. The artical comes under page 110 on the link now. Sorry bout that .
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Jim;
These links appear to be a book.  Is it and what is it's title ?
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 02, 2010, 06:05:51 PM
Jim;
These links appear to be a book.  Is it and what is it's title ?
D/P
It is in the "Bell System Technical Journal"
January 1951
" The Ring Armature telephone receiver" (g-type handset).
It is pretty technical. But worth noting for the documentation of your set.
You want page 110 of the book.
Jim
You live, You learn,

bwanna

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 02, 2010, 12:53:52 PM
So I thought about what Bwanna had said, about scraping it off. I have a small plastic ruler on my desk, and I carefully used the edge on a spot that was off of the writing. Much to my surprise the residue came off with very little effort or pressure,

D/P

so many people have been of such significant help on this project.  i am honored to have played just a tiny role.  :)
donna