"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Bill;

I've contacted Steve, and he is going to look for me when he gets back home.
I'm thinking the cords are going to be the hang up, No pun intended. Since dates are not marked on any parts so far in the phone, dates won't be a factor, just same design.
I certainly wish I could come up with batch numbers for all of the parts.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 03, 2010, 12:53:37 PM
Bill;

I've contacted Steve, and he is going to look for me when he gets back home.
I'm thinking the cords are going to be the hang up, No pun intended. Since dates are not marked on any parts so far in the phone, dates won't be a factor, just same design.
I certainly wish I could come up with batch numbers for all of the parts.

D/P

You did mention 4 wire cord didn't you. (per the '49 report, the 500 set always had 4 wire cords).
Something I have been meaning to mention about the above photo is that the cords look gray to me.
I think the field trial sets probably had black cords like  the Dreyfuss photo.

Jim
Off-topic for this set:
BTW I saw a referance that cords prior to 1951 may discolor light color sets, so colored phones should use a cord manf. after ?/51. I don't remeber the month but is was early (1st quarter)
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Jim;
After finishing the finger wheel, it dawned on me that this is actually a good choice for a permanent wheel on production models, of course they didn't have bullet proof ABS then. the color never rubs off, it's very durable, and light, so easier on the dial mechanism.
A little side story on making the wheel. I don't have an index head for laying out equally aligned spots on a circle, so I had to draw the centers on my computer, then print it, then I used "Mod Podge" to glue the paper to the ABS. Then the hard part. My eyes, even with my glasses, could not focus on the tiny centers of the finger holes. So I took a very sharp center punch, and a jewelers eyeglass to locate the punch on center to make sure they were all in exactly the right spot. I've learned that even the slightest variation when finished will stick out like a sore thumb, when the wheel is return, it runs very true. The hardest part was removing the excess ABS from the rear of the wheel to get proper wheel height, from the dial plate. Abs is very durable, but soft. My next concern was getting it to shine. Very little effort using 800 wet sandpaper, the face down on a terry clothe towel with Novus #2. About 5 minutes hand polishing and it was smooth and very shiny. One drawback, it's not as Black I wish it were, it's more a deep, deep charcoal gray. However it doesn't look out of place.
D/P

Dan/Panther

Jim;
4 wire for the handset, and 3 wire for the line cord ? Bill says the handset cord is short leads with long black for EQ position.
Most early cords I've got are very stiff, is there any way to relax them ?
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 03, 2010, 01:20:35 PM
Jim;
4 wire for the handset, and 3 wire for the line cord ? Bill says the handset cord is short leads with long black for EQ position.
Most early cords I've got are very stiff, is there any way to relax them ?
D/P

I would beleive Bill, I think he memorized the '49 report  ;D

Wayne Merit recently asked the same question regarding cord flexibility. I would contact him and see what kinda answers he received on the subject.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Here are several photos of the dial. I will have to make 2 posts to get them all in.
The dial has not been cleaned as of yet.

D/P

Dan/Panther

Dial continued..
D/P

Jim Stettler

I really like the back side views of this dial. It is quite a find by itself.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Here are photos of the completed chassis, with the dial mounted. The only thing needed is the dial protective cover, which I will be making this coming week. I'm waiting for the colored Poly sheet.
All I need now are the outside parts.
It is very tempting to connect a handset and line cord to try it.
But I have saved a surprise for that.

Once completed, The first call to be made on the phone, I would like the forum to suggest, who should receive the first call from the phone once completed. There may very well not have been a call on this phone for the past 50 years.  
So give it some thought, and I will make a call to the person the forum selects.
It may not be for a couple weeks, depends on how soon I can find the rest of the parts.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Check with Paul F and see if he has a number for Don Genarro from Dreyfuss. If Don is still around. you should call him (record the call).
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Your Fail-safe back-up caller would be Paul F. You need to call him on your set either way.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Once this phone is compleate, you should use it as your "forum" phone, Whenever you call a forum member  (or any telephone collector) you should use this phone.
JMO,
Jim

BTW Do tell them you are calling on a field trial 500. That is a pretty neat concept for phone geeks.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Jim;
I get tingles thinking about it.
D/P

Phonesrfun

D/P:

Stunning pictures!

I can take pictures of the inside end of my 1951 handset cord (yes 4-conductor) when I get home.  I got stuck working today, so it will be later in the day.  From the reading, I believe the trial would have been the same handset as the one on the early production models, but WHO KNOWS???

I would have guessed that a 7A dial was used on the trial versions, and boy would that have been a mistake!

Jim, I think you are right.  I have read that report now so many times, I think I can even quote the dumb questions and answers sections too.  I keep saying that this is the most interesting thing I have seen in a long time.  It has really captured my attention
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 03, 2010, 03:25:17 PM
D/P:

Stunning pictures!

Jim, I think you are right.  I have read that report now so many times, I think I can even quote the dumb questions and answers sections too.  I keep saying that this is the most interesting thing I have seen in a long time.  It has really captured my attention
Bill,
I personally like the Q/A about color sets.
Jim
You live, You learn,