News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Here is the finger stop, re-chromed using the Caswell home plating system. Cost me about $25.00 for the kit, but I've re-plated many, many train parts back to like new condition. Works great.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

I opened up my 12/1950 set tonight to have a look inside.  I noticed the 7A dial has some similarities to Dan's.  I snapped a few pictures. By the time I logged on I see that you guys pretty much have it covered with the 1949 and 1951 models.  The 12/1950 dial looks more like the 1951.  Just to  have the middle year I'll go ahead and post the two photos of this 12/1950 dial.

paul-f

It looks like there were some changes to the network terminal layout...
   (Do you have a better photo of the cleaned network?)

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

Dennis:

A small difference, indeed, but the shape of the bends in your springs look like my 1951.  Paul's 49 look slightly different.  This would be isignificant, but a small difference nonetheless.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

By golly, Paul, I think you're right!  Yet another one-of-a-kind feature of Dan's phone!  Dan, your phone is going to wind up being priceless. 
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Here is the photo of the network. On the front edge it says..

Network W35148

Could that possibly indicate January 1948 ?
D/P

Jim Stettler

Dennis's photo is a good photo of a back painted dial bezel.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Bill;
If you are referring to the network, that maybe explains the color difference on the dial wiring, like I said maybe routed differently on later variations .

D/P

Phonesrfun

I believe the pulse contacts still would have had to have been connected to RR and F and the shunt to GN and R.  Just because I am sure they retained the same nomenclature for the connections.  The colors of the wires are immaterial, and maybe the phone you have was built before they landed on a standard for the colors we know today.

Could you check based on the marked up photo and see if the pulse wires do connect on the network to RR and F, and that the shunt contacts do connect to R and GN, regardless of actual wire color?

Thanks,

-Bill G

paul-f

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 03, 2010, 11:21:15 PM
Here is the photo of the network. On the front edge it says..

Network W35148

Could that possibly indicate January 1948 ?
D/P

I'd hesitate to jump to that conclusion on a sample size of one unit.

We can probably guess that it doesn't stand for the 148th day of 1935.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Maybe the 351st day of 1948?
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Yes the pulse wires connect directly to the network at terminals RR, and F. The Shunt contact wires go to the EQ, then directly jumpered to Gn and R like you suspected.

D/P

Phonesrfun

Excellent.  Yes, it doesn't matter if the shunts are connected to RW and W on the EQ or the R and GN on the network.  It is all the same.  Thanks for checking.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

I mentioned earlier that I was able to connect a line cord, and the ringers did ring. Now if the line switch is the lifted, would it interrupt the ringing, or would a handset also have to be wired in to complete the circuit.
D/P

Phonesrfun

On the earlier networks (like yours) and the 425A, there needs to be a transmitter in the circuit, otherwise, no workee.  That is not the case on the later 425B networks.  

If you have a spare handset lying around, connect the black wire to B on the EQ, one of the whites to W on the EQ, and the other white and the red wire to RW on the EQ, and you should be in business
-Bill G