News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

He may also be the most appropriate Watson for your maiden phone call.
Ralph

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 04, 2010, 04:05:53 PM
I can see it now, I walk into a phone show, look under a bench, and pull out a 1949 set, look at it, and proclaim; "They do exist", then proceed to faint.

Jim;
just playing devils advocate here. Over the years it has always been told to me, that when trying to figure something out, The simplest solution is USUALLY the correct one.    OJ did it.
Now my thoughts go to 49/500's, It took about 5 paragraphs to justify why 49/500 might exist. The I say, "they don't". Then is my training kicks in. Just having fun !!
We even have a reported 49/500 and we can't get a photo of it. I want more than anyone top find a 49/500, hopefully someday I might, but that would really be pushing my luck to the ultimate limit.
D/P

I feel that since the Bell System said they made them in 1949, they probably did.
My above statements were more to the point of why you can't find them.
JMO,
Jim

You should take your set to Don Genaro, While you are there you can asked if they made production sets in 1949.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

I have to correct an error in my original post about not having produced any 49/500 sets.
I misread the data on numbers produced.  I had thought I had read that 180,000 sets were produced in 49, having just got off the phone with Paul, he corrected me, the estimated number of 49 sets was actually 4000, so it is very likely that this is the reason that they are so hard to find. Being that 90,000, 500's appear to have been made in 1950, that would explain why they are easier to find.
So sorry about my misinformation.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Is that 4,000 production sets or 4,000 sets including the field trial and production sets?

Jim
You live, You learn,

Phonesrfun

While we are at the stage of correcting errors, I find it necessary to eat a little crow myself.  On April 1, Dan posted his photos of the insides of the equalizer, and had a little trouble with varistor versus thermistor.  There is one of each of these "istors" in the equalizer, so some confusion is not beyond comprehension!  After seeing what I had posted, Dan corrected what he wrote, and his corrected copy now stands as correct.

However, it seems I had a little dyslexia with my "istors" as well, which I have now corrected.  My post is #375 on April 1.  I have shown my correction with a strike-out.  I had originally said that the resistor was in series with the varistor.  It is, in fact, in series with the thermistor.

Whew.  That was a lot to explain.  Varistor, Thermistor, Resistor....Yikes.
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

When Dan's set is compleate, We should make a seperate "locked" thread that has all the photos, and pertinent links and corrected info, A summation of key points might be nice. This point was brought up by someone many pages ago.

I have  corected some of my posts. and I think I still have some errors out there. This thread has been growing so fast that it gets hard to find my incorrect posts, and those are the posts That I realize are incorrect.

Also I am having trouble easily locating specific info within some of the documents. If someone wants to make a simple index of the 49 conference and the 4-51 BSTJ "key points". I would like a copy :D

If D/P can get a meet with Don Genaro, he should get a letter of authenticity for his set. we all know it is a field trial, but that would be a nice go with for D/P's display.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Jim S. on April 04, 2010, 06:29:40 PM
Is that 4,000 production sets or 4,000 sets including the field trial and production sets?

Jim

Jim;
Not clear on that but think it was production.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

gpo706

Quote from: Jim S. on April 04, 2010, 06:43:19 PM
When Dan's set is compleate, We should make a seperate "locked" thread that has all the photos, and pertinent links and corrected info, A summation of key points might be nice. This point was brought up by someone many pages ago.

If it was myself, (and I'm not claiming you are refering to my post atall) I suggested this would make a decent web page when its finished  - on its own with the posts here in an archive, and links etc, and of course lots of explanations/retractions and BIG sexy pics.

Surely enough reading and drama here to make an interesting stub to someones site or a site of its own I think.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 04, 2010, 07:31:16 PM

Jim

Jim;
D/P
That is my guess as well. I think I saw a reference to 4,000 that alluded to production sets.
Jim
You live, You learn,

paul-f

Quote from: Jim S. on April 04, 2010, 07:40:23 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 04, 2010, 07:31:16 PM

Jim

Jim;
D/P
That is my guess as well. I think I saw a reference to 4,000 that alluded to production sets.
Jim

After re-reading several of the articles, it appears that there is a distinction made between pre-production and production sets.

My current interpretation is that sets with internal components that look like the early 500 sets we've viewed (e.g. marked 7A dial, 425A network, 311 Equalizer, etc.) are the production sets.

Any other sets (including Dan's set, which matches the patent drawings) are pre-production sets.

The BSTJ April 1951 article, "An Improved Telephone Set" (link previously posted) clearly summarizes the field trials using those terms:

• 1948 trial was with 50 pre-production sets shared among 100 subscribers
  • 1949 trial was with 4000 early production sets in 10 cities across the US

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

Quote from: gpo706 on April 04, 2010, 07:36:44 PM
Quote from: Jim S. on April 04, 2010, 06:43:19 PM

If it was myself, (and I'm not claiming you are refering to my post atall) I suggested this would make a decent web page when its finished  - on its own with the posts here in an archive, and links etc, and of course lots of explanations/retractions and BIG sexy pics.

Surely enough reading and drama here to make an interesting stub to someones site or a site of its own I think.

Most likely both.

I plan to put up a few web pages of the "Cliff's Notes" version, focusing on comparing the internal components with the patent drawings and a production 500.

To capture the spirit of the find as it unfolded, an edited version of this thread would be entertaining reading for anyone who wanted to know more.

In addition, there will be several short articles written which should provide an intermediate level of documentation.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

gpo706

Nice one Paul, thought someone would have it all in hand.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Jim Stettler

Paul,
If I am reading this right,
There were 50 1948 pre-production (marked* field trial sets) apparently  undated.
Then there were 4,000 early production sets. These may of been marked* field trial, or (probably?) not. These may of been dated(?) (since they were production sets I am thinking dated).

If the above assumptions are correct then Dan's set is probably a 1948 and he still needs a Birthday 1949 set.

* Marked field trial are with the verbage of Dan's set
{ for the record I have always leaned towards a '48, I have faltered a bit, But I still think all the D# components leans towards '48, I also thought there were '49 field sets and '49 production sets. It may be there were '48 field trials and 49 early production sets, Possiblly  '49 late production sets that are like(?) the early '50 sets}}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul,
What are your opinions on my comments? I understand that this is only a opinion.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Phonesrfun

Dan's set is probably a 1948 and he still needs a Birthday 1949 set.

You mean to say Dan needs to keep looking??  :o

My own humble opinion is that he has a '48, however, that particular project of R&D and trials and so forth didn't just all happen in one year.  We may never know......
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 04, 2010, 09:18:38 PM
Dan's set is probably a 1948 and he still needs a Birthday 1949 set.

You mean to say Dan needs to keep looking??  :o

My own humble opinion is that he has a '48, however, that particular project of R&D and trials and so forth didn't just all happen in one year.  We may never know......
I am thinking he does.  my guess is the '49 sets are dated and he was really wanting a '49. Of course he will probably end up with a funky looking engineering  model of a '47. Such is life.
Jim
You live, You learn,