News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

On this conference call, I think everyone should call in using their oldest 500 (or similar) available. If most took a picture of themselves on the phone, then some photo montage could be done with all the pictures and some sound bites of how the old '48 500 sounds like after being dormant for so many years. Just my 2 cents.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

I'm not up to speed as far as conference calls are concerned, and powerpoint presentation, I'm still trying to get my head around Power lunch...
Give me some more details on the conference call, how do you get several people from all around the worlds to call into one place at the same time, and have it really work. Sounds like half will never get connected ?
The powerpoint presentation, is that kinda like a slide show using an overhead projector with 8-1/2 X 11  glossies, but done on a computer.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

D/P:

Google is your friend.  Search for "free conference call" or "no cost conference call" to get  numerous choices.

My wife and I participate in regular conference calls hosted by nocostconference.com.  Many have over 50 participants and last over an hour.  Occasionally some lines are plagued with static, but usually there is no major problem.  Perhaps other have experience with other services.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

I got a reply to a note sent to Don Genaro informing him of the find and this thread.

He doesn't have any personal recollections, as this happened before he joined Dreyfuss.  After so many years, he doesn't remember any stories either.  He recalls that Bob Hose and Julian Everett worked on the 500 for Dreyfuss, and both passed away decades ago.

I sent him a few photos to whet his appetite and asked if he wanted to see more.  He did, so I passed along a sampling of the photos of the restoration process and a link to this thread.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rp2813

I used to have my own "bridge" to dial into for conference calls at work.  They'd fill up and other people would have to open their own bridge to allow more callers to participate, but the transmission quality was usually pretty good.  An occasional bit of noise, but otherwise a clean connection.  It would be fun to do that, and I've got my 10/50 right here by the laptop ready to use when the time comes.  I presume we'll need touchtone to access the bridge first, then get on our "real" phones once we're in.

And D/P, I couldn't have said it better.  I can do a Powerlunch, but am clueless about Powerpoint.  Perhaps someone with expertise in that area should host the call, and they can get pix etc. from you to assemble their presentation.  Perhaps everyone but you should dial in first, then when we are all present, you can get the cue to dial in and we can all be listening for the first words transmitted by your phone in over 60 years.  May I suggest something along the lines of:

"That's one small instrument for a trial, one giant impact on industrial design and telephony for the ages."
Ralph

Dan/Panther

I have thought about it hard, and wanted to make sure that the first conversation on the phone did it justice. I thought about humor, with repeat of, "Watson come here", but thought better of the idea, then in and out with a few more ideas, but finally I think came up with what fits the occasion.

D/P

Dan/Panther

I finished the dial protective cover, but I'm not real happy with it. I didn't have any plastic the right thickness and the stuff I bought was about half the thickness I needed, so I made a second one, using two piece of the thinner plastic, but it will do until I can get the right thickness.
Here are a couple photos I'll show you how I did it later.
Photo one is side by side, old and new.
photo two installed on the dial.

D/P

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Quote from: McHeath on April 11, 2010, 12:15:00 AM
After reading all the various ideas about the exact dating of this phone I'd still place my money on it being one of the 50 1948 field trail pre-production phones.  While the production model has quite a few differences, none of them seem to be revolutionary, the basic pattern is set in this phone.  A few tweaks to the factory tooling and shazam, the phone we all know and love emerges. 

McHeath,
I agree it is most likely a '48 vs 49.
However it does seem to me to be on the early side of '48.
Instead of branding it as a "48 however, I am trying to justify that it colud be earlier. If  only to help us keep open minds.

Either way I would say it is a pre-production set and it was around in 1948.

Before Paul came up with the examples, most money was on it being a 1949.
ISTR that you held firm on 1948.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Dan,
Regarding powerPoint.

I intend your power point presntation to be a seperate projest.
Think of Powere point as a computer slide show w/ voice and/or captions.
I think it is included in OFFICE software now.
Around here the middle school kids have to learn how to do simple power point presentations. This is why I suggested you enlist your daughter to help.

My ulterior motive was to get you to use your photos and captions in a power point, and then point out how easy it could be converted into an informative booklet.  You would be surprised how cheap you can print booklets at the office supply store.

I guess I should of just contacted your agent, Bwanna.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on April 11, 2010, 12:47:03 AM
I believe they were aluminum.
I agree with Paul.
This phone has so much aluminum, that I suspect that was the backing material on the dial center.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 12, 2010, 01:41:58 PM
I have thought about it hard, and wanted to make sure that the first conversation on the phone did it justice. I thought about humor, with repeat of, "Watson come here", but thought better of the idea, then in and out with a few more ideas, but finally I think came up with what fits the occasion.

D/P
I checked w/ Vern (he was poking around in the back room at the time of the first call).

He said the actual first message was:
" AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , #@%$$&&^**&%##@$%*(()&^#^&,,
WATSON!!! HELP ME."

The  call was intended  to be "Watson, Come here, and give me hand tossing this guy out of here, He keeps puting my phone parts in his pocket "

I tend towards Vern's version, over history's record.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

bwanna

ok, sure jim....i can be agent & publisher ;)   power point is included in microsoft office. i have not ever used that particular program. i am competent in publisher & excel, so i could probably figure it out.

when you're ready to think about it d/p get ahold of me. maybe we can collaborate.

the conference call sounds like a fantastic idea. i don't think i can participate, tho. i'd cry my eyes out over the sheer magnitude of the occasion :'(     
donna

Jim Stettler

Quote from: bwanna on April 12, 2010, 07:34:13 PM

the conference call sounds like a fantastic idea. i don't think i can participate, tho. i'd cry my eyes out over the sheer magnitude of the occasion :'(     

Catch it on Video, It would be a great promo shot. Daytime TV loves tears.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
If you start to ball like a little baby, you can hang up, but we would like as many people as possible to participate.
D/P