Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 17, 2010, 12:51:02 AM
Quote from: dencins on April 17, 2010, 12:47:29 AM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 16, 2010, 10:52:39 PM
Dennis;
Would the people you refer to as "they took them off because they were corroded", would they be subscribers or refurb people. If it were refurb people wouldn't they also have the means to rivet them back on ?
D/P

Dan

Subscribers after the change from leased to owned (early 1980's?).  I doubt many people would want to pay to replace coroded rivets.

When Bell owned the phones the Bell service center would rivet them if the phone was removed from service.  I am not sure when Bell stopped repair service repair centers.   I suspect corroded rivets would not be considered a service issue so it would only happen if the phone was removed for another reason.

Dennis

So are you saying that probably those were replaced by a refurb station as part of a major repair ?
D/P
Dan,
I beleive this sub topic is on the later rubber screwed feet. Your set had unique screwed feet,
My guess on the later screwed feet was from a non bell bell refurb. It is easy to set-up a drill press to remove feet. If you have min. wage employees then it was probaly easier/cheaper/ faster to have them screw feet vs buying a rivit machine to do it to bell standard. It also helped differentiate rebuild sets.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 17, 2010, 12:52:36 AM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 17, 2010, 12:50:38 AM
Just a little humor:

Looks like yours was original without the handset, according to the drawing there was no handset.  Must have been the early hands-free model.

Actually, that drawing looks like the exact one for your set, all kidding aside.

Bill;
Then you would tend to agree that it dates my phone 1948, or earlier ?
That would also explain why mine had no handset !  :o
D/P
I would add the lack of handset as a (tounge-in-check) point. It is a valid point.
I am surprised you missed the finger wheel tho, you only spent 2 work days of labor to create the replacement.
Jim

You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

The only reason I omitted the fingerwheel, is some could argue I have no way to know what it is made of as it doesn't specify.
I don't know how we missed this drawing as it has been floating around this thread since early on, the drawing actually focused on the hookswitch, and the chassis was turned 90 Degrees.

Here is the actual drawing as I first looked at it, on a whim I decided to turn the drawing 90 degrees so as to orient the chassis bottom side down, at that point is when all of the matching points just jumped off the page.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 17, 2010, 12:53:52 PM
The only reason I omitted the fingerwheel, is some could argue I have no way to know what it is made of as it doesn't specify.
I don't know how we missed this drawing as it has been floating around this thread since early on, the drawing actually focused on the hookswitch, and the chassis was turned 90 Degrees.

Here is the actual drawing as I first looked at it, on a whim I decided to turn the drawing 90 degrees so as to orient the chassis bottom side down, at that point is when all of the matching points just jumped off the page.

D/P
That is probably why it got missed. Early on we were churning thru as much as a page an hour. There was lots of info being posted and a whole lot of discussion going on.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

If someone will direct me as to the quickest procedure for doing patents searches, even if the search is fee based, I will gladly do the footwork.

D/P

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim S. on April 08, 2010, 06:56:19 PM
Quote from: paul-f on March 30, 2010, 01:12:45 AM

The patent numbers to search for are:
  G Handset: 151,614
  Base: 153,928
  Line Switch: 2,566,840
  Ringer: 2,590,500

Has anyone tracked down patent info for the handset element?

Paul

Paul,
Try http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4425482.html

There are several patents related to the "ring armature receiver"
And improvements to it.

The first  patent is 2506609
The patent trail is:
2520646 Electroacoustic transducer August, 1950 Mott 179/115R
2520640 Electroacoustic transducer August, 1950 Kreisel 179/114R
2506624 Electroacoustic transducer May, 1950 Wirsching 179/120
2506609 Ring armature telephone receiver May, 1950 Mott 179/120
2249160 Acoustic device July, 1941 Mott 179/120
2170571 Acoustic device August, 1939 Mott 179/119R

Jim

Dan,
Iwas using freepatentsonline.com  I signed up for the free account , the free account has some nice features

Some of the patents in Pauls list came up bhy putting a D in front.
Also you can scan the document for previous patents that might give you some leads.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Well here is the drawing for the handset, Patent Applied for date of June 24, 1947, so it is a possibility they had time to make a Prototype, using my set as early as 1947.  
It is a possibility, but I doubt it, for the simple reason, in the next photo, it shows the Henry Dreyfus designed base, which is Patent Applied for dated, March 19, 1948, which leads me to believe the production style base had not yet been finalized. I would assume my set did not appear until after the production style base was ready. UNLESS they made one with the first designed base.

D/P

Jim Stettler

Did you read thru the switchook patent to try to get a patent number for the standard housing. I am thinking it may be referenced there.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Kenny C

I am glad he decided to use a different design than that would have been an ugly phone
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Jim;
I'm going to print hard copies so I can look at my leisure.
Kenny;
You took the words out of my mouth, the case is ugly.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 17, 2010, 07:16:14 PM
Jim;
I'm going to print hard copies so I can look at my leisure.
Kenny;
You took the words out of my mouth, the case is ugly.
D/P

There is a phone that is styled a bit like that design. It may of been ATC. It is a 500 type phone w/ a 3" dial. They were white and had "racing Stripes" on the side. I was thinking I had it in a book, but I can't find it. I remember seeing them on Ebay. ISTR that the stripes were a orange and yellow.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Kenny C

I do not think that phone would have been as nearly as popular as the design he went with.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

D/P:

I have opened an account with one of the free conference services and have run a quick test.  Let us know when you want to schedule the conference and I'll post instructions on how to dial in.

The system requires touchtone input to enter the access code (followed by # sign), so rotary phone users should plan to have a touchtone phone on the line and within reach.

If I read the instructions right, it looks like we can record the call and replay it later through the service or even download it in .wav format to preserve it for posterity.  So you should be able to put a CD of the call in your growing collection of set memorabilia.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Paul;

I am available any time day or night, so whatever everyone else feels, is fine with me. I thought about 5 o'clock PM Pacific time, that way it will only be 8 o'clock back East.
Any suggestions ?
D/P