News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Would I then be able to connect it to the mic input on my computer for a wave recording ?

Do let me see if I understand the set up.
I would use the 48-500 to talk and listen to the other members, I would have a second 500 with the transmitter deactivated used for hooking to my computer ( using Colins Device ) to do the actual recording, so nothing would have to be connected to the 48-500 ?
If that's the way it works I like that set up.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 18, 2010, 11:52:25 PM
Would I then be able to connect it to the mic input on my computer for a wave recording ?

Yes.

Do let me see if I understand the set up.
I would use the 48-500 to talk and listen to the other members, I would have a second 500 with the transmitter deactivated used for hooking to my computer ( using Colins Device ) to do the actual recording, so nothing would have to be connected to the 48-500 ?
If that's the way it works I like that set up.
D/P

This is also a yes,  but with a caveat.  The phone that is doing the recording should not be on the same line that you are on, otherwise your voice will be very much louder than the other voices in the conference.  This is not a deal-killer, but could be distracting.  Colin suggests that someone with two separate phone lines call in to the conference;  one to participate and the other to do the recording.  Either that or have someone that does not participate to have the recording phone to call into the conference.

Radio stations had fancier devices to keep this from happening.  Maybe we could talk someone into calling in just to do the recording.... - or-   If you do not have a second line, I can volunteer to build the device and record, and I can call in on my cell phone to participate.  That way, I would not have to ship the "device" across the country for the conference.

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bill;
That would be great if you could do that.
Saves time and money all around.
Do you have wave recording capability on your computer, I'm sure it's standard on windows.
D/P

Phonesrfun

Yes, I can record, and I have done it several times, althugh just short things.  I don't suppose there is any time limit is there?

I have Windows Vista on my computer and the computer is a little over 2 years old.  It's an HP computer and has all the standard sound stuff built in.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Yes the same set up, Vista.
Should work great.
D/P

paul-f

Bill,

Perhaps you and I can run a quick test of the conference service's recording capability tomorrow.  If they provide a reasonable quality .wav file, that takes some of the pressure off other recording efforts.  Although it's obviously wise to have several recording plans in play.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

No problem.  I am in the Pacific time zone, and I will rig it up after I get home from work tomorrow evening, and we can do it.  What time zone are you in?

-Bill G

Wallphone

Paul,  I missed it if you said what kind of service you were referring to. Here are two services that I found that seem to be owned by the same company. One or both have recording capabilities. I can't see how they make money yet so I don't know what the catch is. As they say, nothing is free.
> http://www.freeconferencecall.com/index.asp <
> http://www.freeconferencing.com/ <
What is everyone's opinion of these?
Dougpav

Dan/Panther

Doug;
Your links are very interesting, even offer free recording.
I agree I read over the ads, and the only thing I see are the banner ads. I'm sure they have hidden ways to get money, maybe they tap into the call and steal corporate secrets or get stock trading heads ups ?
D/P

paul-f

Bill,

As posted earlier, I already opened an account at one of the services.  I'll contact you by email to conduct the test.

paul-f

Doug,

I believe the conference services get a small fee for providing the termination connection for all the long distance calls coming into the conference.  A convenient service generates lots of calls with lots of participants and many calls last for hours, so the fees add up.

That bring up a good point.  Paritcipants in the call pay any access charges to the conference service.  Those of us who have unlimited nationwide calling are in good shape, but others may want to check their long distance payment options.

Dan/Panther

Paul;
We will use your conference link..
D/P

bwanna

this is so exciting...kudos to you guys for figuring everything out. i just remembered, i do not subscribe to a  long distance plan on my POTS line. do they still sell those long distance calling cards & will it work for this deal ???
donna

Dan/Panther

I just got off of the conference test call with Paul, and Bill.
Paul recorded a portion of the call, and let us hear it on playback, He said it's a wave file, so we can download it and listen at our leisure.
The call worked perfect.
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:

Let us know time and date of conference call. I will dust off the 2-50 for this special occasion.
Jorge