"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

D/P,

I expect that reason that no letters were associated with 1 had to do with exchange names.  Originally, phone numbers started with a two-digit exchange name like "JAckson".  Since no phone number could use a 1 in the first or second position, it would have been inappropriate to assign any letters to 1 (The same logic applies to 0).

The reason that' Q' was omitted was probably that there were only 8 digits for 26 (or 25) letters, so something had to be left out, and since no names used a 'Q' without a 'U', it made sense to omit 'Q'.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Larry;
What about Q-Tip... ::)
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Hope no one objects, I made one small change to the phone.

D/P

paul-f

It's your phone -- you can have one clear plunger and one black one if you want -- and rotate the color combinations daily.  Have fun!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Can I have some opinions on the Denise 'Neill photo.
firstly does anyone have a clear copy of the photo. By the time I screen capture from PDF, and copy and paste, It loses some.
Notice at #1, do the plungers appear to be flat topped.
Also at #2, the handset appears to have a very distinct Sharpe corner, at the ends, later examples seem very rounded at this point. Is this an early photo, or was it taken at the time of the article ?
D/P

I've added a better closeup. Without a doubt, flat topped like the colored 302's.

rp2813

D/P, it might just be the quality of the photo re: the way the handset looks.  Excepting for the fact that the receiver cap looks normal, the cap for the transmitter appears to have a ridge all the way around it where it meets up with the handset, as if it's oversized.  Maybe whatever is making the transmitter cap look weird is doing likewise with the handset spine.
Ralph

Dan/Panther

I've modified a set of clear plungers to replicate the photo as close as possible.
D/P

Phonesrfun

Now all you need is a wild hair-do and a shirt with polka-dot cuffs and collar.

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 21, 2010, 10:00:37 PM
Now all you need is a wild hair-do and a shirt with polka-dot cuffs and collar.

Anyone have a polka dot cuffed shirt ?
D/P

McHeath

Good job on the clear plungers, it certainly is a documented feature.  And how exactly did you get them flat on top?

Dan/Panther

I ruined 1 plunger trying to turn it down in a lathe. they are made out of a plexiglas type material that is like Glass, as soon as the cutting tool touched it, pieces starting  flying off.
The next one I used my stationary belt sander, then sand papered it smooth, then Novus.
I had to bend the line switch levers up to get the same height as in the photo.
that slight bend also eliminated a problem, Every time I removed the shell, it caught on the horizontal levers. Now it doesn't.
D/P

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

It was, the last time I looked in the mirror.
D/P

JorgeAmely

Kenny:

That is indeed D/P, after watching the snow fall early in the morning, pondering whether to work in his one-of-a-kind 1948 WE500 prototype, tinker with an 8T dial, or check if finlover is still in the forum. God Bless his soul; the man really knows how to multitask.
Jorge

AET

You do look deep in thought D/P.  I've seen pics of you before, but it still kind of puts me through a loop.  You look nothing like I picture while I read your posts (if that makes any sense) you look like a heck of a tough guy though!
- Tom