News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

I believe there is ample evidence that about 4,000 units were installed beginning in 1949.  (Posted earlier in this thread and at http://www.paul-f.com/weproto.html#500)

The open questions are whether they were "pre-production" or "early production" sets, and what (if any) differences there were between the two.  It may take a while longer to find some sets or documentation from these categories to nail this down.

Also, it seems likely that production in Indianapolis started in earnest in mid-1950 -- probably after several delays.  I'm on the trail of info on other Chicago-area plants that may have been used for interim low volume production in 1949-50.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Congratulation on a great find! And kudos on a very nice restoration! I just joined this forum a short time ago and just today read this entire thread, AMAZING! I was one of the people who looked at that auction but I did not bid because I was thinking the last thing I need is another parts 500! Guess I should have looked closer!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Hey, welcome to the forum, Harry, I think you will like it here!

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Harry;
Welcome to our forum. A real great bunch gather here.
I looked at the phone, and something about it just intrigued me.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

cihensley@aol.com

This BLR article may help in your early 500 sets research.

Dan/Panther

Ci;
Do you have any other documentation from the same era ?
D/P

cihensley@aol.com

DP - Only BSPs, which I have scanned to the TCI Web site..

Dan/Panther

What are some of them about, or dates ?
D/P

Jim Stettler

This cut-away view of a G handset is from "telephony" by E. I. Green, Bell Telephone laboratories 1957. It is a reprint from encyclopedia Britannica.

It is interesting because of the wiring channel and lack of acoustical barrier (cotton ball). I think this is the closest we have found to a G handset for D/P's phone.

Reading the captian, it states it is a cross section of a modern handset and shows a 1950 500 set.
Further research might yield results using "acoustical barrier".
Just a thought,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Enlarging the photo, it appears the dial bezel on the "1950" 500 is the curved operator bezel.
Jim
You live, You learn,

paul-f

The diagram is typical of G1 (bakelite) handsets. 

The cotton balls were needed for the G3 (plastic) handsets, as their thin wall construction left a large channel for sound to travel from the receiver to transmitter.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

I was thinking all G's used the cotton balls. This handset looks like a wire channell vs a hollow handle. I suppose it is because it is G1?
Jim

Technically it is the proper style handset for Dan's phone. It just isn't the "find" I thought it was.
For the record I think D/P's handset should be slightly different from a G1 as discussed before. (slightly thicker handset is my vote)
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Jim;
Interesting you should mention that, as like we discussed in another thread, I found a 1951 G1 handset that is Very much more beefy than the standard. I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to.
D/P

Dan/Panther

Has anyone noticed or pointed out the difference between the finger stop support on the 48-500, and the 49-500 ?
The 48 only uses the fingerstop itself for support whereas the later versions use a beefed up support. I didn't notice that.
If someone else did notice I apologize for overlooking your post.

D/P

McHeath

Not following you here D/P.  Both pics are of a 49'.