"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG

Dan, what I'd suggest you do with this is: 

Keep it, but make it available occasionally to historic exhibits, so long as it's properly protected from damage.  And put it in your will to one of the folks who made a significant contribution to the project, with the stipulation that it never be sold for money or traded for anything else, but always passed along to someone who is chosen by the community at-large as a representative of the spirit of the original Bell System and all the people who built our communications networks. 

So whoever has it after you've left this world would have to put a similar statement into their own will, and so on, for generations to come.  If at some point it was to end up in a museum, the requirement would be that if the museum had no further use for it, they would be bound to contact whatever relevant historical society existed and pass it along to them, with the ongoing condition that it's to be treated as a part of America's heritage that should never be reduced to commodity. 

This is one of those rare "living artifacts" whose intrinsic value can't be bought or sold, but only passed along from hand to hand by way of the tradition it represents.  If I'm not mistaken, there were similar practices in some ancient cultures for handling artifacts that had deep cultural significance.  And there is no question that the WE 500 is one of the most culturally significant artifacts of the entire 20th century. 

It was an integral part of, and the symbol of, the expansion of telecommunications to become truly universal in America.  Connected across the Bell System network, it enabled individuals to communicate with their loved ones, their business associates, and their elected officials, on a continental scale.  It was the doorway into the original "cyberspace" as defined by John Barlow, whereby America's most profound experiences were shared from person to person.

There are few objects in living memory that have played such an integral role in the shape of our culture by opening up new horizons to the reach of every individual.  And this community has done an exemplary job of embodying the original spirit of the times in the project to bring this artifact back to life. 

MyDodgeDip

Sorry for resurrecting a really old thread, I'm late to the game here.  :-[

I grew up in Murray Hill, about a block from Bell Labs.  I'm only 27 so I don't know anyone right off the bat who worked there during this time period but I did study a lot of local history.  I also know that on the facebook page for Berkeley Heights (Murray Hill is actually a section of both Berkeley Heights and New Providence)  people have talked about relatives or themselves working at the labs.  It may be worth a post there to try to make some connections.  Many people lived in town to work at bell labs and their children stayed long after. 

There is also a book (actually 2) about Berkeley Heights, at least one of which that has a chapter of pictures and information about the labs.  I'll have to see if I can find my copy.  It may be worth trying to contact the local librarian who researched and wrote the books to see if there is anyone who you could talk to about this.

The facebook page is called "You know you're from Berkeley Heights when..."  There are at least 2 posts about the labs there.  If you can't find it, PM me and I can invite you.

The Books:

#1:  http://tinyurl.com/7ayv5kx

#2: http://tinyurl.com/8a34s9c

MagicMo

Dan,
This is a fantastic story. It would be great if you could start a new topic about this phone again, along with some new pics. I would  love to hear everyone thoughts about it. Do you still have the phone? Did anyone come forward with a 49-500? Is there any new information about your phone? This is so cool and exciting that I want to hear more about it!
Also, I want to know how the conference call went. Who was a part of it? Did it work out?
Thanks,
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

baldopeacock

Mo,

Some of the forum members discovered a real '49 at a museum in Seattle.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2689.0

Dan/Panther

Mo;
I can do better then that. I have in my grubby little hands, well actually on my computer. I have the original 57 minute conference call on MP3. I also have a photo of myself making the call, and a recording of the dial to the phone to show it's rather unique sound.
If someone would be so kind as to help me figure out how to make that large of a file available, I will gladly post it. You Tube only allows 15 minutes maximum.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 25, 2013, 01:56:33 PM
Mo;
I can do better then that. I have in my grubby little hands, well actually on my computer. I have the original 57 minute conference call on MP3. I also have a photo of myself making the call, and a recording of the dial to the phone to show it's rather unique sound.
If someone would be so kind as to help me figure out how to make that large of a file available, I will gladly post it. You Tube only allows 15 minutes maximum.

D/P

Maybe just email the file to her directly.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on February 23, 2013, 11:55:08 PM
Dan,
This is a fantastic story. It would be great if you could start a new topic about this phone again, along with some new pics. I would  love to hear everyone thoughts about it. Do you still have the phone? Did anyone come forward with a 49-500? Is there any new information about your phone? This is so cool and exciting that I want to hear more about it!
Also, I want to know how the conference call went. Who was a part of it? Did it work out?
Thanks,
Mo

Mo, I sent you a copy of the Singing Wires article regarding the 49-500 we found at the Communications Museum in Seattle.  I would recommend joining TCI if you haven't already.  BTW, I love your avatar!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Russ Kirk

I can think of two ways,  one permanent,  the other only available a short time.

Have the TCI library add it to their collection.

Second would be to make the file available for a short time via:
www.yousendit.com/
You upload the file and it is available for a set number of downloads or a set time like 14 days.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dan/Panther

Russ;
I went to your link, it will allow me to forward it to one person. Is there another way to post it permanently, rather for the 14 days you suggest ?
D/P

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 25, 2013, 04:41:51 PM
Russ;
I went to your link, it will allow me to forward it to one person. Is there another way to post it permanently, rather for the 14 days you suggest ?
D/P

Like a lot of services,  there are different levels from FREE to pay for service.  I happen to have signed up for the LITE version which is free,  but has download and temporary availability limitations, enough for my occasional needs every few months.   I think if you want permanent capabilities you have to sign up for a premium service. 

But if you are TCI member,  try contacting them and see if they will upload the file to their server for inclusion into the library. That way, everyone will have access for the future.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dan/Panther

Mo;
Let me know if you were able to receive the file I sent you.
D/P

paul-f

Dan's opening comments are still archived in the Invitation to The Conference Call topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2554.msg35269#msg35269

The full files that were temporarily available are long gone.  If there's interest, we can probably find a home for them somewhere.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

MagicMo

Out of town until tomorrow. I will check it out when I get back home. I can't wait!!! So cool!
Mo :)

MagicMo

Quote from: paul-f on February 25, 2013, 06:39:59 PM
Dan's opening comments are still archived in the Invitation to The Conference Call topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2554.msg35269#msg35269

The full files that were temporarily available are long gone.  If there's interest, we can probably find a home for them somewhere.

Hi Dan,
Did you send it to my email? I didn't get anything.
Thanks,
Mo

Dan/Panther

Mo;
I'm resending it now. Maybe the file is too large for email.
D/P