News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now the Story Can be Told - 1949 WECo 500 Set

Started by Dan/Panther, March 20, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

....have been reading through this incredibly interesting post's many pages over the last couple of days.

d/p: you mention at one point a 'beefed-up' g1 handset, and show a photograph of 2 different h/sets.  could you give any more info on that...........is it the one you have on the phone now, and how do the dimensions differ ?

any chance of a recording of the phone ringing, similar to the recording of the unusual dial ?

many thanks.

Dan/Panther

I vaguely recall a post about the beefy handset. If you could give me the page number. If I recall, I found a photo of a beefy handset, and some thought maybe just photo angle.
The ringer is exactly the same as regular 500 ringer.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

david@london

thanks .......i misunderstood and thought you were in possession of a differently-dimensioned g1.
it would take some rooting around amongst the 66 pages of this post to find the photo, as i didn't note the page no.....it may be about two-thirds of the way through.
anyway congrats on yr amazing renovation of this unique telephone dan - i enjoyed reading about it.
thanks for info on ringer.

david

edit : it's on page 62

Dan/Panther

I am continually jazzed about it.
D/P

Phonesrfun

There was never any G handset that had any different dimensions or design than the classic G handset we all know. 

Early G handsets, however, were made of Bakelite, which was noticeably heavier than the later soft and hard plastic versions.  Also, the early Bakelite G handsets had grooves along the side edges of the handle.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Thanks Bill, If I recall, that is what we had established, when the original photo was posted, ( which I can't seem to Find. ) and the question was brought up. The photo posted, was probably just a lighting, or angle differential.
D/P

MagicMo

Dan, Did you do any restoration to this phone?
Can you put pictures up if you did?
My apologies if you posted about this, I couldn't find it.
Thank You
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Dan/Panther

Mo;
Not at all, I love showing and discussing the topic.
First 4 photos, before, and after, last photo, as displayed now.
D/P

MagicMo

Simply Amazing! Beautiful job.
Mo ;)

zaphod01

That phone makes me smile every time I see it!  :)

What a prize!

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

MagicMo

I would be afraid to touch it. I would hate myself if I accidentally dropped it, I have been known to be clumsy.
Again, it is beautiful.
Thanks for posting.
Mo

Dan/Panther

It makes me smile each time I look at it also, and I would love to use it more, but I'm concerned an internal component might fail, and no replacement available. So I look and smile alot. I really wish I could find a PERMANENT location, for all to see for a long time to come. I'm just not confident, that a museum is as long term as I wish. I would not want it ending up on eBay.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 12, 2013, 04:43:52 PM
It makes me smile each time I look at it also, and I would love to use it more, but I'm concerned an internal component might fail, and no replacement available.
D/P
I suspect the components will outlast an early production model 500 set.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 04, 2013, 03:45:26 PM
Mo;
I'm resending it now. Maybe the file is too large for email.
D/P

Isn't 16 Meg the normal maximum size of an email? It is for me and that includes overhead leaving less room for actual content. Any idea what size the file is D/P?

Terry

Dan/Panther

Terry;
Which file are you referring to.
D/P