News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Signs Galore!

Started by Fabius, November 02, 2017, 10:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Interesting photo that I guess is late 40s or very early 50s. Look at all those sign. The '39 bell sign Telephone Business Office is for The Ohio Bell Telephone Company. That's a rare sign to that company. Do you see the second telephone sign? Behind and below the big telephone sign is what appears to be a'21 bell Public Telephone sign of the 1931 style.

https://tinyurl.com/y7gvfqua

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

jsowers

That's a 1953 or 54 Chevy Bel Air coupe parked on the curb, and what looks to be a 1952 Kaiser farther down the street. It may be somewhere in the South because I see an Eckerd Drugs sign down the street too and they were located in the South in those days, but were also in Erie, PA according to Wikipedia. Can you read what the Business Office sign says on the Bell logo? That could give a clue to the state it's located in. It doesn't look like Southern Bell to me.
Jonathan

Sargeguy

wds has that office sign in his "Estate Sale" find. 

One of those '21 Bell signs sold this morning on eBay.  If it is a '31 Bell sign, shouldn't it be in Northwestern Bell territory?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 03, 2017, 01:39:41 AM

If it is a '31 Bell sign, shouldn't it be in Northwestern Bell territory?

It's hard to tell exactly what the smaller sign is. Since this is Ohio maybe is a standard '39 bell?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Looks like a '31 when you blow up the picture.  I am pretty sure the giant round flange versions were used in other parts of the country.  Maybe other patterns were as well?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

I haven't seen a Singer store since I was 4 or 5 (1959/60).
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Fabius

A great photo. So much to look at and wonder. Where did the MIL_MAR come from? Two names such as Mildred - Mary?

A google search finds that there was a Blitz Bros Store in Zanesville, Ohio

A finally that smile on the woman looking at the photographer.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905