"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 50s, different dials and ringers.

Started by Greg G., April 25, 2010, 02:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 28, 2010, 01:08:01 AM
Welcome to the world of clip leads!  A collector's best friend when it comes to trouble-shooting.

The cord-end is out of a later AE.  That style of cord stay does not mate up with anything in the AE50.  You might be able to hook it on something in a makeshift manner.  That is apparently what they did by hooking it to one terminal on the terminal strip.  Normally the terminal strip is not used to tie down wires like that.

Most often I see a knot tied in the new cord. The knot won't pull through the small hole where the cord exits the phone once the cover is back on. Doesn't the 50 have a sort of post made of heavy steel below the terminal strip where a cloth covered straight handset cord was "tied" onto? If it isn't the 50 then it is in the AE 35A5 wall phone.

By the way...the 35A5 is the predecessor to the 50 and the 34A3 is the predecesor to the 40. Both are very similar yet different than their later replacements.

Terry

stub

Brinybay,
              Here's pic of mine with cloth cord and tie. It's tied in the middle of hookswitch mount on a tab . sorry, the best I could do this late      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on April 28, 2010, 01:14:54 AM

The cord-end is out of a later AE.  That style of cord stay does not mate up with anything in the AE50. 

Doesn't the 50 have a sort of post made of heavy steel below the terminal strip where a cloth covered straight handset cord was "tied" onto?

Terry

You're right, it does.  So this is supposed to have a straight cloth cord?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,
               2 cords , both cloth. One straight and one extensicord (stretchable).
                                                                                                            stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 28, 2010, 01:08:01 AM
Welcome to the world of clip leads!  A collector's best friend when it comes to trouble-shooting.

The cord-end is out of a later AE.  That style of cord stay does not mate up with anything in the AE50.  You might be able to hook it on something in a makeshift manner.  That is apparently what they did by hooking it to one terminal on the terminal strip.  Normally the terminal strip is not used to tie down wires like that.

Yeah, those leads sure made it easier.  I even got a deal on them because they had the wrong price on the hook that the package hangs on.  The price on the hook said $2.97 for a package of 8 (2 each of red, green, black, and yellow).  I didn't want that many but couldn't figure out why the smaller quantity packs were 2 or 3 times as much.  When he rang it up, it came to $8.97 including tax.  I was just confused, so I asked him about the price on the hook and we went back and looked at it.  Sure enough I was right, it said $2.97.  He gave it to me at that price.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

The original handset cord for the AE50 was probably fabric and had a long shoe-lace type of a cord stay on the end for tying down, like the one shown in stub's photo.  Here is a mark-up of your photo showing the metal tab for tying such a cord to.
-Bill G