News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage Crosley 302 Telephone Case

Started by Sargeguy, July 11, 2011, 03:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

I actually spotted this auction several days ago and watched it count down. I couldn't believe the seller had no idea what they had. I'm glad to see it went to someone with at least most of the parts necessary to make it a complete set again. :) Great find!

Sargeguy

Thanks!  I have 30 or so 300 series phones, about half unrestored, so finding parts is not a problem.  I'm just making it harder than it has to be by sticking to 1953.   I will try to glue it, but as soon as it sets I am going to fill in the hollow parts of the handle for stability.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 15, 2011, 12:36:17 AM
I started working on the phone.  The dial is a little too beaten up so I switched it with a NOS 5J I have, dated 4-53.  The 6D is 11-53 so the dates kind of match.  The network I added is also from 53 but is a Northern Electric, as is the condenser.  When I opened it up,  I realized that the cords had been cut on the inside when they removed the coil, condenser and ringer.  The wires from the switch are also cut.

I am still trying to figure out the fix for the handset.  I was thinking of taping it up and filling the body with epoxy or that crack sealing foam that hardens.  Super glue did not stand up to the toddler test when I tried it before. 
Sarge...be careful with the 5Js, they are a tad wider than the 6Ds. If you had a hard time sliding it in, you might be looking at a crack in the future if the case shrinks anymore. Nice find, this looks like it will display very well from the front....Doug
Kidphone

old_phone_man

Sarge, If your 6D dial is just running rough, contact Steve Hilsz.  He is a Master at dial repair and way reasonably priced.  Here is his web site....
http://www.navysalvage.com/ 
You never know he may have an open finger wheel and finding a 164 dial plate is usually pretty easy.
I kinda like the 6D dial on the colored 302's because they are taller than the number 5 case and give the phone a nice 2 tone touch.

Sargeguy

It seems to work fine, its just the cosmetic damage.  I think I will go with the 5J-it's NOS and besides, what else am I going to do with it?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

old_phone_man

I understand.  It's hard to beat NOS!

Sargeguy

I restored the line cord but the handset cord was not salvageable due to dry rot:

Next time I will check the condition of the cords before I start hammering old chunks of cord out of recyled spade tips and strain reliefs

The finished product

I used "Raychan Solder Grip Butt Splices" to do the splices.  I tightly wrapped very fine copper wire around the two ends to hold them together before slipping the splice over the wire and crimping. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409