News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

But....It is a Pain to Dial

Started by Doug Rose, May 19, 2013, 07:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

That photo in the first post shows a very nice rock on her "right" hand ring finger. If it's in the photo, it's included, right, unless specifically excluded in the listing description?  :o

HowardPgh

It's from the universe on the other side of the mirror.
Howard

Haf

I just noticed by watching the first auction closer:

Shipping: $10.00  USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope 

It's inflatable or a transformer! :)

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

MagicMo

Quote from: Haf on May 23, 2013, 05:07:19 PM
I just noticed by watching the first auction closer:

Shipping: $10.00  USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope 

It's inflatable or a transformer! :)

Believe it or not, I recently received a phone that I won on eBay, it was a 58 soft plastic original, delivered right to my door in an envelope. I emailed them and the response was something like this, "it was lightly padded, to ensure it arrives to you in one piece, please let us know next time if you want it shipped in a box." I just gave up after that and thought I may be going crazy. I'm continually amazed by people's lack of common sense and when all is good I stand in line at the post office and realize I was absolutely correct.
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Mr. Bones

Thanks for noticing that detail, and sharing my skepticism, guys. I was pretty darned curious, as to what the promised envelope might look like. Like a D/A, I bid anyhow... sigh. ::)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

TelePlay

Quote from: Mr. Bones on May 22, 2013, 07:29:16 PMShe then re-listed it for starting price $100, bin $700.

The re-list link is http://www.ebay.com/itm/321129352630 , with free shipping. Wow, that makes $700 a deal . . .  8)

It's the seller's first listing. That explains the poor pictures, framing, focus, lighting, color, etc. I think.

Also, just noticed 3 of the 4 feet are bare. (Per seller: "Antique 1937 Vintage Western Electric Bell 4 prong telephone. In mint condition.")

As for the reversal of every photo, that boggles my mind. I'd really like to know how the seller managed to do that, and then not even notice.

The bad sale, cancelled sale, is something else. Think someone was talking in the seller's ear saying it sold too cheap?

This is a color photo, it really is, and I think that is the intended mailing envelop in the upper left corner, in the background.  ;)

poplar1

Finally a phone for us southpaws! I have seen some non-dial candlesticks with the receiver on the right and the multi-slot pay phones have the coin return on the left, but this is the first dial I've seen for left-handed people.

I think certain cell phones reverse the photos. Or the seller went through the looking glass (Alice in Wonderland).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on May 24, 2013, 11:55:31 AMFinally a phone for us southpaws! I have seen some non-dial candlesticks with the receiver on the right . . .

That's funny. Last month I rearranged the mouthpiece and base of a Kellogg none dial stick to put the receiver hook on the right side. Needed the phone for a play and it was to be placed on a desk on the right side of the stage, the left side looking from the audience. It had to be a right handed hook so that when actors sat down to use the phone, they would be holding the stick in their left hand and the receiver in the right so as to not block their face from audience view, as would happen if the receiver were to be held in the left hand. It wasn't simple but it was possible without any modifications to the phone other than flipping parts around or over. I haven't changed it back yet. Maybe I could get big bucks on eBay as a southpaw stick.  ;)

I think sticks were made with left side hooks so the stick could be put down to write notes with the right hand while the left hand continued to hold the receiver to the left ear.

QUESTION:  Back to this 302. It states it's a 1937 (or pre-1940) so it should be a metal shell, right? Does this shell look metal? It looks plastic to me based on the lack paint chips around the ears, something every one of my metal 302's have. Am I wrong?

Mr. Bones

Quote from: TelePlay on May 24, 2013, 09:27:12 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on May 24, 2013, 11:55:31 AMFinally a phone for us southpaws! I have seen some non-dial candlesticks with the receiver on the right . . .

That's funny. Last month I rearranged the mouthpiece and base of a Kellogg none dial stick to put the receiver hook on the right side. Needed the phone for a play and it was to be placed on a desk on the right side of the stage, the left side looking from the audience. It had to be a right handed hook so that when actors sat down to use the phone, they would be holding the stick in their left hand and the receiver in the right so as to not block their face from audience view, as would happen if the receiver were to be held in the left hand. It wasn't simple but it was possible without any modifications to the phone other than flipping parts around or over. I haven't changed it back yet. Maybe I could get big bucks on eBay as a southpaw stick.  ;)

That's funny!

I thought the same thing, after looking at the pictures: Left-handed 302.

'Rare, vintage, unique, hard to find, etc.'
QUESTION:  Back to this 302. It states it's a 1937 (or pre-1940) so it should be a metal shell, right? Does this shell look metal? It looks plastic to me based on the lack paint chips around the ears, something every one of my metal 302's have. Am I wrong?

I see absolutely zero indications of it being a 1937. First, it was a Early 1900-s, then Pre-1940, then 1937. Still looks like a large button, plastic body to me. Just looked like a cheap 302, which is why I bid on it.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Adam

Only 'cause it came up in the conversation, this reminds me, one day a couple of years ago, because I was bored, I photoshopped up these two "left-handed" sets.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820