and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Membership Classification - Stars etc

Started by Doug Rose, December 31, 2009, 11:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is just an observation and not a criticism. What is a:

Hero Member...there are alot of you

I am a Newbie, which I understand, I am new to the group.

Also, what is the Star System.

thanks....Kidphone
Kidphone

HobieSport

Thanks for asking that Doug.

Membership classification on these forums has nothing to do with knowledge or understanding of telephones. It's just about how many times that a person posts comments.

For example, you are a real serious respected telephone collector and you are classified as a "beginner", while I am a newbie to telephones with very little phone skills, and yet I am a "hero member", just because I am am a silly idiot who likes to chat.

I felt so embarrassed about this that last July or so I quit the forum and later started over again, just to lower my membership status.

-Matt

McHeath

Basically it's just a reward given to people for making more posts, a way to encourage involvement.  Sort of like the little stars we were given in elementary school when we were nice to Billy and let him use our crayons, even though at recess he had called us a booger and insulted our mom's shoes.   :D

After 50 posts you move up to Jr. Member and so on, then at 500 you reach "Hero Member", which also means you spend way too much time posting and thinking about old phones.   ;)

And as Hobie said it's not a reflection skill level, as I may have a zillion posts but I essentially know nothing about old phones.

HobieSport

-Matt

Doug Rose

thanks guys....I got it....Kidphone
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, it's a system built into the Simple Machines forum software.  Nothing that someone (me) manually attaches. 

HobieSport

You're already a hero here, Doug. :)
-Matt

paul

(since I've been forwarded here reading another post today)...

Looks like since then most of the titles have been set to not display, but they are usually customizable though, so a lot of places tend to theme them towards the site, and/or offer custom ones at certain levels or for types of rewards. What might ones designed for here look like?

Busy Signal
Long Lines
Regional Call
Local Call
Payphone Checker

?  ;D

m1898

I didn't know you could spend too much time thinking/talking about phones. My wife even tolerates my hobby.
                  Jim
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

Contempra

That'S why i love my wife Jim :D... I have several hobbies including bicycles, wristwatches, clocks and dials...

tipnring

Just want to say to contempra, I think your orange contempra in your logo (whatever it is called) is great. I have a orange 2500 set but it pales in comparison to your rotary dial.. Dennis from Alberta

dsk

I have not been thinking a lot about this, but now, its feeling good to be a hero  ;D
I'm not deserving this title for using far to much of my time on this, and asking lots of questions, partly due to language problems.  8)

A high number of postings may give a hint of a great interest of subjects discussed here, maybe more than common part of shareable (new word?) know-how. And it might be a person who not give up on you easy, when you don't understand the first answers.

A great number of postings are a sign of activity....

What about the opposite, the newcomers, the shy persons, those who don't like to write so much, those who don't want to leave tracks at internet etc.  Actually it tells us only that we do not know much about this member.

At the end, I have never used this info. before just now, I have always got answers on my questions, I feel I have been treated seriously, and I hope every other members may feel the same.  The forum has lost a little for each who not contribute, so we are all enriching this by contributing with telephone related texts.  Thank you, all of you!

dsk

Greg G.

Quote from: dsk on September 26, 2014, 02:02:04 AM
I have not been thinking a lot about this, but now, its feeling good to be a hero  ;D
I'm not deserving this title for using far to much of my time on this, and asking lots of questions, partly due to language problems.  8)

A high number of postings may give a hint of a great interest of subjects discussed here, maybe more than common part of shareable (new word?) know-how. And it might be a person who not give up on you easy, when you don't understand the first answers.

A great number of postings are a sign of activity....

What about the opposite, the newcomers, the shy persons, those who don't like to write so much, those who don't want to leave tracks at internet etc.  Actually it tells us only that we do not know much about this member.

At the end, I have never used this info. before just now, I have always got answers on my questions, I feel I have been treated seriously, and I hope every other members may feel the same.  The forum has lost a little for each who not contribute, so we are all enriching this by contributing with telephone related texts.  Thank you, all of you!

dsk

There may be a lot of "lurkers" who are looking for something unrelated, but something here came up on the radar of their search terms.  For example, two posts by somebody who was apparently doing genealogy research and registered to ask me to look up his uncle in an old Seattle phone book I had just bought and posted about here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5619.msg76479#msg76479
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

I have found if I Google anything about or even slightly related to phones I get hits for this forum..
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 26, 2014, 02:57:45 PM
I have found if I Google anything about or even slightly related to phones I get hits for this forum..

I find that often too.  It's funny when it links to one of my own posts!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e