News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mercedes dial with odd number plate

Started by wds, October 21, 2013, 03:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Most of the Mercedes dials I have seen have the standard white porcelain plate.  What kind of number plate is this?  Is there a plastic cover over the white porcelain that has faded?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Perhaps it is celluloid or a paper overlay.

Larry

HarrySmith

That would be my guess, if you look at the number 5 where it meets the middle it looks like an edge is present.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Would you dare peel it off?  you don't suppose that's a cardboard number plate underneath?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I would first remove the finger wheel and see what there is to see.  You should be able to remove the plate without peeling anything.

Larry

AE_Collector

I have seen these before on ebaY with that very deep yellow color but do not know why.

Terry

stub

wds ,
        I have one that has a paper number card and thin glass covering the paper.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

Here's another one I have - the cover over the number plate sure looks like glass.  I guess I'll just have to take it apart and find out what's under the glass.  This one is a type 11 mercedes.  The glass covers remind me of the sunburst dial.
Dave

stub

wds ,
          Here's pic of mine on a AE Step base candlestick.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

That looks like a nice, very clean type 11 dial.  Nice C/S!
Dave

stub

wds,
       It wasn't when I got it. The paper hasn't yellowed yet and I didn't break the glass when I cleaned it a long time ago, but I did get the dial return spring a little too tight.  Here's pic of the insides.
       I thought we talked about some of these with plastic or someone was needing to replace a broken glass with plastic? Oh well , I can't remember.  
         I have another Mercedes type 11 that has the white porcelain plate and no glass cover. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

I wonder if it simply IS paper under the glass and any attempts to clean it with any liquid would likely wind up with the liquid getting under the glass and into the paper and eventually turning it this dark color.

Terry

wds

Here's a picture of the back of the dial.  No hooks on the back from the dial plate.  Seller says it has a paper number plate, and a glass cover to protect it.  Quite similar to the sunburst dial.  The type 11 must have started out similar to the sunburst, then changed to the porcelain plate. 
Dave

wds

stub - what holds the glass in place?  does the fingerwheel remove like the other Mercedes dials?
Dave