News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Type 85 Converted To A Type 2955 Subset

Started by magicbrain, April 21, 2019, 02:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

I won this auction on ebay for a WE Type 85 fiddleback that has been converted to a type 2955 subset.
ebay listing:https://tinyurl.com/y3eyeua9

The original type 85 back board,shelf & side pieces have been cut down with hook switch removed & hole blocked - quite an interesting find.

Bruce

magicbrain

A few more pictures.

The "Property Of New England Telephone And Telegraph Co." stamp was a surprise - I could see in the auction pictures something was stamped there but could not make it out.

Bruce

Doug Rose

Very nice...I love the old NET stuff....really different...Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

I have one of these that I parted out.  I was bidding on this one as well-that is a nice condenser. I actually asked the seller if it had a NET&T stamp in that spot, which he confirmed.  Usually the stamp is on the backboard under the terminals.  When they converted them they re-stamped NET&T on the bottom.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

magicbrain

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 21, 2019, 08:04:49 PM
I have one of these that I parted out.  I was bidding on this one as well-that is a nice condenser. I actually asked the seller if it had a NET&T stamp in that spot, which he confirmed.  Usually the stamp is on the backboard under the terminals.  When they converted them they re-stamped NET&T on the bottom.

Greg - Were the wood shelf & sides on the one you had modified like this one? - You have to wonder why they didn't just cut down the back board to eliminate the terminals & area for the transmitter.

Anyhow, after some cleaning, I plan on keeping just as is & pairing it with a candlestick phone.
Bruce

Sargeguy

Yes, mine was similar to yours except the TYPE 85 wasn't crossed out.  Mine had the flat condenser compartment cut down. I would keep it as is unless you need the parts for something else.  The wooden parts are almost all modified in some way and the switch assembly is impossible to find.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409