"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cool Experimental prototype

Started by Dan, November 17, 2011, 10:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: McHeath on November 19, 2011, 02:19:15 AM
I have a dim, possibly false, memory of one of these minus dial selling on e-bay last year. 

Me too. But I recall even less than you. I would say at least two years ago, possibly more.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 17, 2011, 11:20:38 AM
It's interesting that there was a 4-5 year gap between this phone and the official release of the 302. Larry

$2600 now with just over 5 days to go. 8 bidders with a total of 29 bids so far.

I was thinking about the gap between this prototype and the release of the 302. The depression. Telco's were losing customers to disconnects so there wouldn't be much new equipment being purchased from Western Electric. Not much dial equipment or even manual switchboards and certainly not many new phones. WECo probably put the project on hold themselves to save some cash on their side as well.

Into 1932 things were really getting bad and it wasn't until 1936 that there was some light at the end of the tunnel.

What this one phone sells for on ebaY would have probably funded research on its develeopement for quite awhile back then!

Good luck to the forum member who is in the bidding war!

Terry

LarryInMichigan

QuoteWhat this one phone sells for on ebaY would have probably funded research on its develeopement for quite awhile back then!

What the winner of this auction pays may very well exceed the original development cost of this phone :)

I doubt that the seller fully appreciated what he had.

Larry

Doug Rose

Seller has been on eBay for some time dealing in high end telephones. He is selling some quality Paystations as well. He hasn't been around much this year. My guess is knew exactly what he had....but just a guess....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

I agree.  He's also a former TCI member and was active in shows for many years.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jester

This one just closed at $3,150.00.  I don't have Terry's handles list, but I think the winner is one of the deep pocketed bidders that regularly wins this type of offering.  It would look nice in my showcase, but that won't be happening anytime soon.
Stephen

HarrySmith

The winner is not one of the 2 usual high bidders but he is a member of ATCA.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

Only $3,150?   Given that an AE 40 in lilac/turquoise just went for $5k, that seems like whoever got this one got a heck of a deal.  Especially since, unlike AE 40s, there are never going to be high-quality reproductions of these prototype sets (Ray or someone else), so the supply of these is very finite. 

AE_Collector

Quote from: GG on November 27, 2011, 04:48:19 AM
Given that an AE 40 in lilac/turquoise just went for $5k,

Orchid turned Turquoise/light blue & $3999.00 was final price.

Quote from: GG on November 27, 2011, 04:48:19 AM
that seems like whoever got this one got a heck of a deal. 

Agreed!

Terry

McHeath

That's a lot of money but it does seem like a reasonable amount for such a historic phone.  Interesting that we have seen prototypes for both the 300 and 500 series come to light on E-Bay.  This phone for one, and my dim memory of a dial less version on E-Bay some time ago, and then of course D/P's very sensational prototype 500 that he found on E-Bay as well. 

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jester on November 26, 2011, 09:21:08 PM
I don't have Terry's handles list, but I think the winner is one of the deep pocketed bidders that regularly wins this type of offering.  

e***h 1148 has been moving up the rungs of the ladder of high bids lately. He is definitely collecting some nice phones.

Terry