News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 1000 everything works but the ringer- Lucky NEWBIE needs help...

Started by Pudentaine, February 12, 2013, 02:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pudentaine

Hi Guy's, I'm new to the site and new to phone repair & restoration. When I got this phone the dial was jammed, the receiver wire was missing as well as the main line (I forgot what that's called). I grew up with rotary phones and I've always missed them after the switch to touch-tone & buttons.

I got the dial working by just cleaning it thoroughly, I bought the receiver wire and a wall wire ( I forgot what you call those). The receiver wire was easy, I had some WE vinyl covered receiver wire, & for those who don't already know the Kellogg phone has a different color system than the Western Electric R.G.Y. , I think it's W.B.R.? I'm not sure now but I just used common sense and took a chance (got it on the 1st try, lucky), then I ordered a RJ11 (?) plug on a 4 wire covered with black vinyl like the receiver wire. That was easy because the line had been cut at the phone but the 3 connections were still there s I just followed the same way compensating for the color code change from W.E. to Kellogg. This is where I think the problem lies. I had an extra wire so I capped it off with these Scotchlok UR connectors ( I was send a box of them by mistake when I ordered some electrical tape and the seller told me to just keep them, how's that for serendipity,

I didn't know what they were for but I just held on to the box and it turns out these things are used in splicing phone wires and it has a little gel inside so the connection is air tight... I had just read that exposure to air could make modern wires cause static on the line because they were so fine) ANYWAY, I think that's why the ringer doesn't work, I read also that a lot of phones back then were party lines and they often had distinctive ring types or didn't ring at all. Another point I'd like to note is that if it were a W.E. phone it would have been labeled what to wire where but the Kellogg 1000 gave me no clue on how to wire, if the roots of those connections hadn't still been there I never would have known which screws to attach the spades too ( oh yes, my RJ11 plug had four spaded wires with it on one end and the plug on the other).

So, I'm pretty confident that the ringer's still work, I either don't have it hooked up with that extra capped line I have or it's set up to some weird frequency that I'll never figure out because I'm over my head when you start talking that language.

Can anyone tell me what to hook that 4th wire up too? The phone looks great and it dials correctly and everything ( now that I could test it) but it just doesn't ring. I'm going to try to include a photo if it's easy to figure out...

Thanks in advance...Thomas (well I guess i can't post a photo or if I can I don't see how to do it, thanks anyway!!
Ahoy!

LarryInMichigan

Welcome to the forum.  Many, if not most, of these phone have frequency ringers, so they will not ring on a standard phone line.  Is the clapper arm on yours attached with a pivot or a metal reed?  If it is the latter, you will probably not be able to make it ring, unless is was made for 20 cy (Hz).

Only two wires are needed for the line cord.  You can find wiring diagrams for your phone here: link.

Larry

poplar1

When you hit reply tab, then click on additional options, browse the pictures that are saved on your hard drive, click on the photo you want to send.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pudentaine

This is my most favorite design o all the desk phones of this era...The lines are just awesome. Does anyone know who DESIGNED this telephone for the Kellogg Company?
Ahoy!

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.