News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Marilyn Monroe's Bedside Telephone" Auction...For Real???

Started by JimH, November 22, 2013, 01:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: david@london on November 24, 2013, 10:25:59 AM

i agree with brinybay - this auction was alot of hooey.  probably some of the bids were phoney, to drawer in a final sucker bid. seems to have worked.

Well, there were only 2 people bidding on the phone, one with feedback about 400 and the other about 800. It's just unbelievable, the only word I can come up with (well, maybe stupid and/or ignorant or a few dozen others) to sum up what I see that auction was all about. Maybe one or both of the bidders worked for a Telco or was a friend who remembers actually removing the gongs for Marilyn and as such, has intimate knowledge of the phone. That's the only proof I could accept as knowing it was her bedside phone in Brentwood and only the person who did that would know, and couldn't prove they did it without a polygraph, sworn affidavit and a big buck bond to insure their claim.  ;)

Greg G.

Quote from: TelePlay on November 23, 2013, 05:13:21 PM
Sold for $2,150.00. Go figure . . .

I'm sure I have Elvis's bedside phone here somewhere, I'm positive!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Found two more photos of the bedroom. Note the thin, tall lamp is consistent in all the photos I have posted. The second photo below is new to me and seems to show a phone on top of a dark wood furniture piece. That looks like a handset cord but I can't make out what it's attached to. Or is it just a hanger with a weird perspective? Any thoughts or conclusions based on this photo found at this link:

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/72463670.html

A lot of info in print at that link about what may have happened, what was said to have happened and what was done to affect the investigation at the scene and after the autopsy. Quite the conspiracy. But what about that phone? Is that the $2,000+ AE recently sold on eBay? Nah, it's just a hangar. No phone found yet.

Third photo below is from:

http://www.matrixleaks.com/2012/11/marilyn-monroe-mystery.html

WesternElectricBen

Is it just me, or is that lamp kind of creepy to have in a bedroom?

Ben

G-Man

It looks as if it is an outdoor lamp. Was she despondent and down on her luck and was flopping in a garage converted into a bedroom?

The police and news-media were much more discrete in those days and may not have reported all of the circumstances.

In any event by all accounts she was very generous and compassionate so it is even more tragic that so many people took advantage of her and dumped her by the wayside.

And despite the snide remark regarding her ability to read, she was also very intelligent except for being too trusting in others.

And judging from the auction it still continues to this day!

twocvbloke

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 24, 2013, 10:43:08 PM

Ben

It was probably the "in thing" to have back then, it's a little odd, but not creepy... :D

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 24, 2013, 11:26:00 PM

Ben

It was probably the "in thing" to have back then, it's a little odd, but not creepy... :D

Well, I guess but only marginally in style. I dunno, if I saw that thing staring down at me at night, I would be a bit... Well... Creeped out.

Ben

G-Man

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 24, 2013, 11:37:30 PM
Quote from: twocvbloke on November 24, 2013, 11:26:00 PM

Ben

Well, I guess but only marginally in style. I dunno, if I saw that thing staring down at me at night, I would be a bit... Well... Creeped out.

Ben

Most of us sleep with the lights out ;D

TelePlay

Seems to be a nautical style wall light usually used outdoors and still available today for about $60 each.

As I remember the early 60s, room design and contemporary furniture was or had a Spartan look. Some say her bedroom was tossed, the reason for the cluttered mess. Who knows?

Her death is one of the biggest and longest lasting conspiracies to ever exist. Other than that, I agree with G-Man.

WesternElectricBen

Very funny G-Man...

Yeah, that lamp looks like something from a ship.

Ben

JohnInWI

I found another photo of Marilyn on the phone.  But the handset cord is coming out of the phone in the normal (side) position.  I don't see why it would have been moved to exit the rear of the phone anyway.  Even a left handed person would find the standard cord location acceptable.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: JohnInWI on November 25, 2013, 12:48:36 AM
I found another photo of Marilyn on the phone.  But the handset cord is coming out of the phone in the normal (side) position.  I don't see why it would have been moved to exit the rear of the phone anyway.  Even a left handed person would find the standard cord location acceptable.

The phone in that photo of her on the phone is a WE 500.
-Bill G

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 25, 2013, 12:51:09 AM
Quote from: JohnInWI on November 25, 2013, 12:48:36 AM

The phone in that photo of her on tthe phone is a WE 500.

That is also not her bedroom at her Brentwood home, where she died. Looks like a studio publicity photo shoot.

JFKFP

Quote from: JohnInWI on November 25, 2013, 12:48:36 AMI found another photo of Marilyn on the phone.  But the handset cord is coming out of the phone in the normal (side) position.  I don't see why it would have been moved to exit the rear of the phone anyway.  Even a left handed person would find the standard cord location acceptable.

It's not her home, it's Marilyn's last photo session with George Barris in Malibu on Friday, July 13, 1962.