"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Searching the best way to provide North American dial tone to my phones

Started by Haf, January 27, 2018, 05:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haf

Just a short update.
I'm still doing research and working on that problem. If an ATA is needed for any phone it would be difficult and quite expensive as many are needed then.
Jims solution, if I got it right then for every CO line one is needed and can then be diverted to the phones with that number. I have 12 different Numbers so far, so would need one for every number...too much either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=83&v=uaQm30DDHL8

This are the tones I would love to have. Working on it.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

That dial tone will not work on a service accepting DTMF, only rotary. My PAX has something close to that made by an electromechanical buzzer tuned to something slightly over 425Hz, but the resonant more or less harmonics makes that sound, how to solve it? I have no solution so far.

dsk

poplar1

Quote from: dsk on March 03, 2018, 10:09:56 AM
That dial tone will not work on a service accepting DTMF, only rotary. My PAX has something close to that made by an electromechanical buzzer tuned to something slightly over 425Hz, but the resonant more or less harmonics makes that sound, how to solve it? I have no solution so far.

dsk

Quebec City had Digitone (DTMF) converters in Step-by-Step 418-524 C.O. -- with the old dial tone in 1984.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Haf

dsk

that was why they changed to precise dialtone, yes, because of the DTMF. I don't have anything that modern here so the old one would work just fine :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

Long ago but not forgotten, here is a little update.

I bought an XLink BTTN Bluetooth gateway. A step ahead but haven't reached my goal so far. I have North American dial tone, rinback tone etc when only have a cellphone connected. As soon as I connect landline, it overrides the tones. We'll work on that. And it does not have "old tones" but..

Here is a mail I wrote to XLink support: ".....Second, would it be possible to add old US ,,City dial tone" to the selection the Xlink BTTN is providing to choose? This would be great and time accurate for collectors of pre war US phones.
I attach you three wav files with the 1936 examples of different tones I'm talking about. If you need further information, I would be pleased to help you...."

And their answer:"2.  Thanks for the information about 'old' tones. I did not know this.  I might be able to generate them, but I need the information of what frequencies they are. I have the ability to generate 4 sine waves.  I cannot use mp3 files.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
XS"

Sounds promising :) But I can't tell how those tones are mixed up and if those mentioned 4 sine waves are what you need. Anyone here can help please what I should answer to XLink?

I attach 3 wav files with a "cleaned" version of Dial/Busy and Ringback tone, taken from a 1936 AT&T film about the new self dial service. This is how I imagine old tones have to sound for my phones. I would wish it might be possible for the XLink BBTN.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474