News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric 4 Wire Remote Broadcast Phone

Started by jnphones, December 03, 2012, 12:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

The local base Bell Techs at  Ft. Carson army base and also the Air Force Academy used the WE331B as a piece of test equitment.  The Ft Carson guy showed me a unit and said it was hard for him to get because they didn't recognize his need for 1.

I bought 4 marked Ohio Bell from the estate of the AFA Tech. His wife said that a buddy from Ohio Bell sent them to him, because they wouldn't provide it locally.

I am not quite sure how they were using them.

The Ft Carson guy wouldn't sell me his because he used it to demonstrate Talk battery and ringing on phones he sold at the flea market.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have the Rotary Black princess in fiber case like Paul F. posted. Mine is from Pacific Bell. If you remove it from the case the base is marked as a farm interphone.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jim S. on September 07, 2016, 06:32:10 PM
The local base Bell Techs at  Ft. Carson army base and also the Air Force Academy used the WE331B as a piece of test equitment.  The Ft Carson guy showed me a unit and said it was hard for him to get because they didn't recognize his need for 1.

I bought 4 marked Ohio Bell from the estate of the AFA Tech. His wife said that a buddy from Ohio Bell sent them to him, because they wouldn't provide it locally.

I am not quite sure how they were using them.

The Ft Carson guy wouldn't sell me his because he used it to demonstrate Talk battery and ringing on phones he sold at the flea market.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have the Rotary Black princess in fiber case like Paul F. posted. Mine is from Pacific Bell. If you remove it from the case the base is marked as a farm interphone.
Jim S.

I suppose it is an easy way to generate ringing signal and test connectivity.
They are basically a local battery telset with magneto for use on a dry loop or tie line, just like a WECo 307 telephone in a different box, but already have the magneto generator, no 399F box needed.

I think the NECo units had more functionality, for use on 4-wires too, and some versions of them had a built-in power supply to run off utility power.

DavePEI

From the NE T-9 catalog listing:

There were two versions, the Battery powered version, and an AC powered version, and the QSY2A AC Power supply which could be installed where the battery holder was located in the battery version. Undo the lock screw, snap it out and plug in the QSY2A..
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001