News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another hobby that's been occupying my time lately

Started by benhutcherson, July 17, 2009, 09:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Well, I was looking at all the various vintage Westclox models, and though I was thinking of getting a Dreyfuss designed wind-up Big Ben to refurbish, the electric Andover model (1938-1942) just really grabbed me as a thing of beauty, and I got one on Ebay, in fair condition, no chips, probably just needs a cleaning and new cord. I really love the colors, the clear blue glass surround and overall style.

Of course I won't have the fun of refurbing a wind-up clock, but gosh, I just love the look of the Andover.

Now then...Can I safely call it "art deco"? ;)

http://www.vintagewestclox.com/images/gallery/andover_1939.html
-Matt

foots

I like that clock Hobie and yes, I do beleive that could be considered art deco. I don't think I've ever seen an andover clock before. Its an eye catcher that's for sure.
Ben, you sure know a lot of stuff. I think there's much to be said about a pocket watch. I actually prefer them to a wrist watch.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

Quote from: foots
I think there's much to be said about a pocket watch. I actually prefer them to a wrist watch.

I remember as a kid in the early 60s that I always had a pocket watch instead of a wrist watch. There were these cheap pocket watches, (maybe a Timex?) that you could buy new for one dollar. They'd only last about a year, but then I'd just get another one and take the older one apart for fun.

Then there was Grandads' gold pocket watch, decorated with different colors of gold alloys. Beautious! I think my sister may still have it. I'm emailing her now and can maybe get some pics of it to post sometime.
-Matt